Provost Liz Magill to serve as next president of the University of Pennsylvania beginning July 1

Ian Baucom will succeed Magill as provost

<p>Magill was the first woman to be named as chief academic officer at the University.&nbsp;</p>

Magill was the first woman to be named as chief academic officer at the University. 

Provost Liz Magill is leaving the University to serve as the ninth president of the University of Pennsylvania beginning July 1. Ian Baucom, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will succeed Magill. 

“I am tremendously excited and humbled to help write the next chapter at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the country’s great comprehensive universities,” Magill said. “At the same time, I am grateful for my time at the University of Virginia, a place and community that have truly changed my life. I have been privileged to work alongside so many inspiring colleagues – many of whom I am proud to call my friends.”

Magill joined the University in August 2019 after seven years at Stanford University and was the first woman to be named as chief academic officer. 

During her time at the University, Magill has played an important role in the University's response to the COVID-19 pandemic — overseeing the implementation of a credit/no credit grading system and the transition to remote learning. As provost, Magill also oversaw teaching and research activities and directed the academic administration of various aspects of the University — including the schools, library, art museums, public service activities, numerous University centers and foreign study programs.

Before becoming provost, Magill studied history at Yale University. She served as a senior legislative assistant for energy and natural resources for Senator Kent Conrad before attending the University’s School of Law. Magill also clerked for Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and later taught at the School of Law for 15 years. 

“Although she’ll be greatly missed here on Grounds, it’s heartening that she will bring her considerable talents to Penn, which I know will flourish under her leadership,” University President Jim Ryan said. “I’m deeply grateful for Liz’s service and her friendship – and I know she’ll always be a Hoo at heart.”

Baucom, who will succeed Magill, has served as dean of the College since 2014. Ryan named Baucom’s experience recruiting and retaining faculty, implementing a new curriculum and expanding access to the University as highlights of Baucom’s tenure as dean of the College. 

“U.Va. is incredibly fortunate,” Ryan said. “He is a widely respected and deeply admired scholar and dean, and he will be key to ensuring a smooth transition in U.Va.’s academic leadership.”

To ensure a smooth transition as the University searches for a full-time dean for the College, Psychology Prof. David Hill will delay his retirement to fill Baucom’s role as interim dean.