U.Va. discourages students from engaging with terminated fraternities

Kappa Alpha has continued to operate independently, while events have been hosted outside the former house of Phi Gamma Delta under the name “Club 128”

<p>An email from University administrators sent in late September to parents and students stressed that the University discourages all students and recognized sororities and fraternities from engaging with suspended and terminated fraternities — including Kappa Alpha, Phi Gamma Delta, Kappa Sigma and St. Anthony’s Hall.</p>

An email from University administrators sent in late September to parents and students stressed that the University discourages all students and recognized sororities and fraternities from engaging with suspended and terminated fraternities — including Kappa Alpha, Phi Gamma Delta, Kappa Sigma and St. Anthony’s Hall.

Events continue to be hosted at the former houses of Kappa Alpha and Phi Gamma Delta following the termination of both groups’ Fraternal Organization Agreements with the University. Kappa Alpha and its national headquarters made the decision to operate independently of the University, while residents of the Phi Gamma Delta house have been hosting events under the name “Club 128” after national headquarters revoked the chapter’s charter.

The University terminated FOAs with Phi Gamma Delta — commonly known as Fiji among students — and Kappa Alpha in July. Neither group is eligible to apply for a new FOA until spring 2026, and their return is not automatic or guaranteed. FOA agreements outline key principles of mutual benefit that exist between fraternal organizations and the University, though these groups exist separately and independently from the University.

Both Kappa Alpha and Phi Gamma Delta were found guilty of hazing last year. At Kappa Alpha, new members were instructed to smoke all of the cigarettes in their “pledge packs,” were struck with coat hangers and were instructed to drink beer as a part of “case races.” New members were smeared with hot sauce, covered in flour after being sprayed with water, were required to perform push-ups and wall-sits, drive current brothers around and clean the chapter’s house weekly — where they were prohibited from using the bathroom or any furniture. Pledges were also expected to carry certain items around at all times, including cigarettes, chewing tobacco and lighters. 

In an email statement to The Cavalier Daily, Jesse Lyons, assistant executive director for advancement of Kappa Alpha Order, said he was “disappointed” with the University’s decision to terminate the group’s FOA.

“Our chapter at U.Va. has enjoyed an impeccable reputation and has not had any known conduct violation in recent memory,” Lyons said. “This unfortunate outcome could have been avoided and would have instead resulted in a positive collaborative and educational effort.”

Per the University’s chapter conduct history, Kappa Alpha was found responsible for two disciplinary infractions in 2019 and 2020. In spring 2019, the chapter failed to comply with Inter-Fraternity Council standards regarding alcohol and social functions, resulting in a fine and the completion of educational programming on alcohol. One year later, the chapter failed to comply with IFC standards regarding alcohol and recruitment, and the infraction resulted in the loss of a 2021 recruitment event.

Based on messages and photos obtained by The Cavalier Daily, Kappa Alpha has hosted at least three parties at its residence under the fraternity’s name this year, and have invited at least two different sororities. One — held Saturday afternoon during Homecomings weekend — was a “gator roast” in the front yard of the house. Parties were also hosted Aug. 27 and Sept. 22.

In an email statement to The Cavalier Daily, University spokesperson Bethanie Glover said the University disagrees with Kappa Alpha’s decision to continue operating independently despite its termination.

“Kappa Alpha and its national headquarters advised that they will continue to operate in their privately owned house despite the University’s termination of their Fraternal Organization Agreement,” Glover said. “We disagree with that decision and believe it creates a safety concern for students who remain involved with the chapter.”

Lyons said Kappa Alpha made the decision to continue operating independently because the University did not offer alternative sanctions.

“KA staff and alumni were denied access to decision-makers to offer alternative educational and restorative sanctions,” Lyons said. “While we hope to work with the University in the future, we are required to move forward with the support of members’ parents, alumni volunteer leadership and the house corporation.”

Under the name “Club 128,” residents of the former Phi Gamma Delta house have hosted events this year after the termination of the fraternity’s FOA. Last year, the group was found responsible for temporarily blinding a new member after the member was struck in the eye with an egg during a lineup in which brothers threw eggs at the ceilings and walls around pledges. Five brothers were also referred to the University Judiciary Committee for violations of the University’s Standards of Conduct.

Based on social media posts obtained by The Cavalier Daily, at least two parties were recently hosted outside the house — a “narty,” or a party held on the lawn, Sept. 23 and a space jam themed party Oct. 6. Per messages obtained by The Cavalier Daily, at least three sororities were invited to these events.

“Fiji may be in heaven, but 128 is going to the MOON this Thursday at Space Jam,” one message reads.

Former members of Phi Gamma Delta did not respond to a request for comment.

Fourth-year College student Anjali Amazigo was recently invited to and attended one of the events hosted at the Phi Gamma Delta house. 

“Considering the gravity of what happened [last year], it’s a little bit disrespectful to the kid who got injured,” Amazigo said. “But it’s not unexpected.”

Glover said Phi Gamma Delta remains in compliance with the University's termination of the fraternity. Phi Gamma Delta’s national headquarters revoked the chapter’s charter, though occupants reside currently in the privately-owned house. Now that the fraternity’s FOA has been terminated and its charter revoked, residents of the house are private citizens permitted to invite other individuals to visit the premises.

An email from University administrators sent in late September to parents and students stressed that the University discourages all students and recognized sororities and fraternities from engaging with suspended and terminated fraternities — including Kappa Alpha, Phi Gamma Delta, Kappa Sigma and St. Anthony’s Hall. Both Kappa Sigma and St. Anthony’s Hall are currently suspended.

“Should these fraternities continue to operate independently, we would have significant concern about the risks to health and safety of students who participate in their activities,” the email read. “We encourage parents to talk with their students about the risks of affiliating with an organization that chooses to operate despite suspension or termination.”

Despite the new Hoos Against Hazing trainings implemented this year for all fraternity and sorority members as a result of Adam’s Law, Amazigo said there is still more the University should do to prevent hazing among fraternities, such as what Phi Gamma Delta and Kappa Alpha were terminated for. 

“If you're in Greek life, you know that all of the frats pretty much haze and nothing really gets done about it,” Amazigo said. “It's just [that] they happened to get caught.”

Chapters without University recognition lose a number of privileges, such as access to space on University property and participation in rush or recruitment processes on University property. Members of suspended or terminated groups who violate the University Standards of Conduct may be referred to UJC, which sanctioned five fraternities last semester.