Del. Sally Hudson announces run for State Senate seat

This means Hudson will likely challenge incumbent Sen. Creigh Deeds

<p>This means Hudson will likely challenge incumbent Sen. Creigh Deeds.</p>

This means Hudson will likely challenge incumbent Sen. Creigh Deeds.

Del. Sally Hudson, professor of public policy and leadership, announced Monday that she plans to run to represent the 11th District in the Virginia State Senate in the 2023 election cycle. This means Hudson will likely challenge incumbent Sen. Creigh Deeds, who has represented Charlottesville in the General Assembly since 2001.

“The midterms may be over, but Virginia has elections every year,” Hudson said. “The Blue Ridge has a brand new Senate seat, and voters have a chance to choose what they want in their next state reps.”

The 11th District was recently redistricted and encompasses the City of Charlottesville as well as parts of Albemarle County, Louisa County, Nelson County and Amherst County. 

Hudson was first elected in 2019 and was reelected in 2021 with 77 percent of the vote against Republican Phillip Hamilton. While in office, Hudson has been a staunch pro-choice legislator, an issue she drew increased attention to following the overturn of Roe v. Wade last summer. Hudson is also an advocate of election reform and the use of ranked choice voting

Deeds was last challenged in 2019, when local Charlottesville attorney Elliott Harding ran as an independent against him. Deeds won with over 70 percent of the vote. Deeds has championed mental health reform throughout his time in Richmond and currently chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, along with serving on the Privileges and Elections Committee, Finance and Appropriations Committee, Commerce and Labor Committee and Rules Committee.