UJC honors graduating Committee members and outstanding representatives

The Committee honored graduating members and recognized an exemplary investigator, counselor, educator and judge

The Committee has heard 14 cases this semester and will be releasing a public report about these cases during the next month.

The University Judiciary Committee honored graduating representatives and support officers during its final meeting of the semester Sunday evening. Graduating committee members received graduation cords and provided reflections about the ways in which UJC shaped both their individual characters and their collective understandings of community-based justice. The Committee also honored four select Committee members for their contributions to this semester’s term. 

Fourth-year Batten Rep. Ann Ashley Daniel said that her role on UJC enabled her to make a meaningful impact on the community — one of the best aspects of UJC is its focus on rehabilitation rather than punitive justice, Daniel said. 

“[Working for the UJC] is not just about punishing standards violations,” Daniel said. “It’s really focused on restorative justice and education and giving back to the community.”   

UJC is charged with investigating and adjudicating alleged violations of the University’s Code of Conduct. Sanctions — including written warning probation and suspension — are determined on a case-by-case basis with the intent of educating and reintegrating students into the University’s community of trust rather than punishing individual transgressions. 

For fourth-year Commerce Rep. Max von Schroeter, the unique responsibility of serving on UJC presented not only a chance to strengthen the University community, but to grow as an individual. Van Schroeter said that his time working collaboratively with other students to build consensus on new sanction policies helped him feel equipped for life beyond the University. 

“It’s a special experience, because you deal with extremely serious topics,” von Schroeter said. “[Dealing with these issues] in UJC makes me feel much more prepared to handle bigger problems later in life.”

UJC includes 29 representatives from each of the University’s 13 graduate and undergraduate schools — three representatives from the College and two from each other school. Student representatives serve as judges during trials, hearing and voting on each case. UJC also includes over 70 support officers who assist with trial proceedings by serving as investigators, counselors and educators.  

Aside from celebrating graduating members, UJC honored select representatives and support officers for their work during this year’s term. The Committee presented awards to a selected counselor, investigator, educator and judge — third-year College student Ben Life, second-year College student Christina Propheter, second-year College student Leah Carroll and fourth-year Architecture student Porter Brown, respectively. 

Thomas Murray, a senior investigator in 2021-22 and fourth-year College student, said that serving on UJC taught him important lessons about discipline and managing authority in a position of power. Because his role as an investigator involved keeping accurate records of cases, Murray said that attention to detail was critical. He also said that developing empathy was critical in helping people navigate a complex and highly bureaucratic system. 

“UJC helped me learn to lead, to have humane skills and to inspire other people,” Murray said. “It was building camaraderie, not just putting bodies in places and organizing logistics.” 

UJC meetings — which take place every Sunday at 6 p.m. in the Trial Room of Newcomb Hall — have concluded for the semester. The Committee has heard 14 cases this semester and will be releasing a public report about these cases during the next month.