University administrators and Honor Committee affirm commitment to Honor System, request community support

The Honor system has undergone significant change in the past year

The message requested that members of the University community uphold the standards of the honor code, describing it as a “hallmark of student self-governance” which requires “everyone’s participation.”

The Board of Visitors, University leadership and the Honor Committee affirmed their commitment to upholding and promoting the Honor System in an email sent Monday afternoon, signed by Board of Visitors Rector Robert Hardie, University President Jim Ryan and Hamza Aziz, fourth-year College student and Honor Committee chair. 

“The University of Virginia Honor System is one of the most significant and enduring aspects of a U.Va. education,” the statement read. “It is a shared value and commitment — it is fundamental to our ethos. It is an indelible characteristic of a Virginia graduate, and it sets our graduates apart from many others.” 

The Honor Code has undergone significant change since its implementation in 1842, but has remained student-run since the early days of the first Committee. Most recently, students voted to adopt a multi-sanction system and overturn the historic precedent of the single-sanction system. 

The Committee has continued to work towards refining the bylaws of the new system, and most recently discussed the possibilities of adding a community service sanction. Their next meeting will be held on Sunday at 7 p.m. in the Newcomb Hall Trial Room. 

“While the Honor System is fully student-run, I’m immensely grateful for institutional leaders like Rector Hardie, President Ryan and others across Grounds for actively supporting the system and helping our Community of Trust flourish,” Aziz said in a statement to The Cavalier Daily. “Honor can only exist with buy-in and understanding from everybody at this University —  students, faculty and administrators alike.”