From the archives: Oct. 9 – Oct. 15

This week: elephants on Grounds, Adventure Land and LGBTQ+ safe spaces

1950s

October 14, 1954

“Circus Breaks Early Morning Calm”

By Fred Quayle and C. David Barrett

When “The Greatest Show On Earth” came to town in 1954, elephants, giraffes, tigers, and hippos were paraded through the streets of Charlottesville.

1960s

October 9, 1962

“University Group Devoted To Discussion Of A Wide Variety Of Interesting Topics”

By David Linehan

This article describes a bit of the history and procedures of the Jefferson Society, a legendary club which “will certainly last as long as will the University."

1970s

October 10, 1973

“Student Leaps Into Stardom, Lily Pad Style”

By Ed Kaniewski

Photograph and artwork by Goodman, Chatfield-Taylor

In this humorous read, a group of first-year men from the Page-Emmet dormitory held an Olympic frog leaping contest and discovered one of their own was exceptionally talented at jumping. It is sure to make you smile!

1980s

October 15, 1980

“Sabato newest kid on presidential poll block”

By Tom Hamilton

Photograph by Scott Hennessee

43 years ago, back when he was an assistant professor, Larry Sabato was already conducting political polls as the “Virginia’s only election analyst.” Now he is the director — and founder! — of the Center for Politics. 

1990s

October 10, 1996

“Students find fun in Adventure Land”

By Anne Holub

Adventure Land was an amusement park located just ten minutes north of the University and was a popular site for club outings and even fraternity parties.  Complete with an arcade, batting cages, go-karting and mini golf, Adventure Land sounds like it was a blast!

2000s

October 13, 2000

“New LGBT center opens for students”

By Maria Tor

The "LGBT center," a safe space for students, first opened on Grounds in the year 2000. This article details how, at the time, the University was one of the last of the top-ten public institutions to have a paid staff working for LGBTQ+ students.