The easiest, heartiest vegetarian chili recipe

A perfect, filling dinner option to prepare beforehand and enjoy all week

This vegetarian chili recipe is a great option for any college student tackling a particularly chaotic schedule this semester. Personally, during the week, my days tend to be busy — filled with classes, homework, extracurriculars and the occasional nap — and in the evening, I return to my apartment starving. It’s rare, however, that I muster up the energy to cook an elaborate, delicious dinner.

Consequently, I have been on the hunt for some great make-ahead dinner options. As a pescatarian who prefers not to eat fish every single night it can be challenging to find easy, appetizing meals filled with protein and other crucial nutrients. Last week, I came across several chili recipes and was inspired to create my own vegetarian version. Since chili can be refrigerated and frozen, I knew this recipe would be perfect to prepare Sundays and save for the following week.

Ultimately, I found this simple vegetarian chili recipe to be a lifesaver. To start, it’s impossible to mess up. The dish is merely a medley of vegetables, beans and tomatoes, cooked in various spices, making it great for any novice cook with limited kitchen expertise. You can even customize the chili to your liking by adding other fresh vegetables, different seasonings or ground beef or turkey. Additionally, it’s pretty inexpensive. The majority of the ingredients you need are canned items — perfect for college students shopping on a budget. Lastly, the clean-up is quick. You only need one pot — I used an Instant Pot — a mixing spoon, a small cutting board and a knife. 

Servings: 6

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 30 minutes with Instant Pot or 40 minutes on stove

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and diced into ¼ inch cubes
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
  • 2 medium bell peppers, diced into ¾ inch cubes
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • ½ can tomato sauce
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 can corn
  • Toppings (optional):
    • Sliced avocado
    • Sour cream
    • Shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
    • Cilantro

Steps: 

Using an Instant Pot:

1. Turn your Instant Pot to “saute” and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pot. Allow the oil to heat up for a minute or two before adding in the diced onions.
  2. Saute the onions until they begin to soften, for two to three minutes. Then, add in the diced sweet potatoes, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Evenly coat the vegetables with the spices and let them cook for two minutes.
  3. Add the kidney beans, black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and vegetable broth into the pot. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and ensure the valve on the top of the lid is turned to “sealing.” Cook on manual high pressure for ten minutes.
  4. After ten minutes, turn the valve on the lid to “venting” and allow all of the steam to release before carefully opening the pot.
  5. Taste the chili to check the seasoning and add more salt or other spices if needed. Then, turn the Instant Pot off and allow the chili to stand for ten minutes with the lid on to thicken.
  6. Enjoy the chili hot with as many or as few toppings as you prefer.

Using a large pot over the stove:

1. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pot over medium heat. Allow the oil to heat up for a minute or two before adding in the diced onions.
  2. Saute the onions until they begin to soften, for two to three minutes. Then, add in the diced sweet potatoes, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir the vegetables in the spices and let them cook until soft, around ten minutes.
  3. Add the kidney beans, black beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and vegetable broth into the pot. Occasionally stir and reduce the heat to bring the chili to a gentle simmer for around thirty-five minutes.
  4. Taste the chili to check the seasoning and add more salt or other spices if needed. Then, remove from heat.
  5. Enjoy the chili hot with as many or as few toppings as you prefer.

The result is perfect. With a single bite, the hearty beans, tender vegetables and smoky seasonings shine through. Additionally, the canned crushed tomatoes and smooth tomato sauce provide an ideal thick, chunky base for all the add-ins. They also add a touch of acidity, incorporating a depth of flavor that complements the other spices and sauteed garlic. Lastly, the diced bell peppers and corn provide a subtle sweetness that rounds the dish out deliciously.

I enjoy my chili with plenty of toppings. I typically pile on shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream, if I have some in my fridge. However, even on its own, this chili is delicious and filling. This recipe makes about six servings, so I transfer my leftovers into airtight containers before refrigerating. However, if the next time I plan to eat chili is more than five days away, I opt for freezing over refrigerating — in the freezer, the chili lasts for around three months.

I will definitely be recreating this recipe several times throughout the remainder of the semester — especially as the temperature continues to drop. It’s the ideal make-ahead dish that will save you time and stress during the busy weekdays.