The upsides of an unplanned staycation

Why the collapse of my long weekend travel plans turned out to be a blessing

I even fit in a nice, slow perusal of downtown, which made me feel a bit like a tourist in my own city.

Ah, fall break — the mid-semester time off formally known as “Reading Days” and ostensibly set aside for study. The long weekend prompts many to partake in an annual mass exodus from Charlottesville beginning as early as Thursday. It’s the perfect opportunity for students to travel back to their hometowns, tour grad schools or experience the nightlife of a new city. My experience was a bit different, though. When it became clear that my own travel plans weren’t going to leave the group chat, I decided to spend my break in Charlottesville — an initially unenthusiastic decision that ultimately turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Sometimes, when plans fall through, things turn out good. 

The plans in question involved a camping trip with some of my roommates — nothing too crazy. Still, it takes effort, energy and cooperation for any plans, even relaxing getaways, to take off. At first, I was frustrated that they were stalled in the hypothetical phase. Once I accepted that they likely wouldn’t come to fruition, however, I felt a weight slowly lifted off my shoulders — there was nothing to coordinate and nothing that could go wrong. With just one of my five roommates left in the house, it was shaping up to be a quiet, laid-back weekend. 

One of the biggest benefits of my unplanned staycation was the time it gave me to rest. I’m a big believer in rest — I even wrote an article about it — but I sometimes fail to practice what I preach. Fall break proved to be the perfect opportunity to reevaluate and reset. With no pressing commitments that weekend, I turned off my alarms and slept in guilt-free. My extra z’s turned out to be just what I needed after a busy first half of the semester. 

During my waking hours, I enjoyed the peace that came with a college town largely vacated by its undergrads. At first, I thought there was an eerie silence in town without all the students here. As I perused the near-empty Grounds on a run, however, I came to appreciate the quiet. Something about the sudden shift away from the usual hustle and bustle pushed me to pay more attention to Grounds and contemplate my appreciation for the University community and my place in it. If I hadn’t stuck around, I might not have had such fruitful reflection. 

With no class and little else happening, I had time to take care of errands and schoolwork that I had long put off without rushing, everything from returning a pair of jeans I’d ordered online ages ago to doing a kitchen deep-clean to catching up in my classes — done at my own pace. I even fit in a nice, slow perusal of downtown, which made me feel a bit like a tourist in my own city. Productivity and tranquility — which so often feel like opposing forces — coexisted in those days. 

As my long weekend drew to a close, I reflected on its unexpected bliss. I realized that the turn of events that had initially caused me frustration actually proved an important reminder about the joys of a mundane weekend. I reveled in the peaceful quiet and found the near-solitude a necessary revitalizer. 

With a new perspective and plenty of rest, I could let go of my not-so-best-laid plans and the disappointment I had felt when they didn’t work out. I’ll concede that I didn’t make as many memories as I might’ve had I traveled as I initially hoped, but looking back on it, I realize that I ended up getting exactly what I needed — a little rest and recuperation right where I was. 

As things kicked into high gear again, I felt a sense of balanced contentment. I had a cleared to-do list and was in good shape to hit the ground running in my classes. At the same time, I was feeling ready to put my best foot forward in my personal life — I was ready to see friends again and knew I had the energy to greet them with my best self. Moreover, having had the chance to reset, I was in better shape to coordinate and enjoy future plans — with the reassurance that I had little to worry about should they not pan out, of course.  

All that to say — if your big travel plans end up falling through, take a deep breath and open yourself up to the unforeseen perks of some quiet downtime. It might be just what you didn’t know you needed.