From the archives: March. 11 – March. 17

This week: JFK, Beta history and a march against hate

1950s

March 11, 1958

“Senator Kennedy Talks To Lawyers, Expresses Concern About Education”

By Sheafe Satterthwaite

Photo by Ringle

Then Senator John F. Kennedy gave a speech to School of Law alumni to end the first annual Law Day. He stressed the necessity of education in the face of an arms race with the Soviet Union. 

1960s

March 12, 1965

“Future of Glee Club Bright”

By Kit Schooley

The Glee Club has had a long history at the University since its founding in 1871. Here, we get an update on the club and a look at its goals for the future as the club approaches 100 years of singing on Grounds.

1970s

March 16, 1976

“Student Affairs sets limits on party times”

By Robert Melton

After noise complaints from neighbors, the Office of Student Affairs imposed time limits for fraternity parties. Some fraternities expressed irritation with the rule, especially the midnight limit enforced from Sunday through Thursday.

1980s

March 11, 1981

“Beta: it’s more than just a bridge”

By Betsy Baer

Photo by Scott Hennessee

Beta Bridge is an iconic part of the University, known for its vibrant student artwork. However, painting the bridge hasn’t always been the beloved tradition that we have today. Until the early 1970s, painting the bridge was actually illegal! 

1990s

March 12, 1992

“Ace — Eric Hargrove has gone from nowhere to No.1”

By Kevin Seifert 

Photo by Steve Hanson

After joining the tennis team as a walk-on during his first year at the University, Eric Hargrove rose to the number one spot on the team in his fourth year. Alongside fellow fourth year Laurent Pruvost, Hargrove led the tennis team to success in his final season. 

2000s

March 13, 2003

“Community unites for march and vigil”

By Angela Manese-Lee

Photos by Ben Spence, Alexis Day

After an assault on Student Council President-elect Daisy Lundy, the University community came together to show support for Lundy. Students and Charlottesville residents united for a march through Grounds and a vigil in front of the Rotunda to raise awareness regarding racial violence.