MCAT registration opens for students

Start your studying soon, prospective medical school students: MCAT registration for the April and May test dates opened yesterday.

According to a Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions press release, students ready to take the "all-important medical school admissions exam" should register as soon as possible, so as to avoid not being able to sign up for a desired day or testing location.

Kaplan MCAT Program Manager Amjed Mustafa said because of the "rolling" admission programs found at most medical schools, it is in test-takers' best interest to take the exam as soon they are ready.

"As the number of students who have applied increases, the number of medical school spots decreases," Mustafa said. "You are competing with more and more students the longer you wait."

Mustafa noted that medical school admissions have been increasingly competitive in recent years, with the rate of medical school applications vastly out-accelerating the rate of projected admission.

"Over the past five years, the increase of seats in med school was 7 percent," Mustafa said. "Applications increased by 26 percent."

Not waiting to sign up for the exam offers other benefits, according to Mustafa, who noted some of the most frequently cited exam stressors are the test registration process and the ability (or inability) to register for a desired testing location.

Naturally, Mustafa said, less stress can lead to higher scores.

Additionally, Mustafa said students who register early may have more time to familiarize themselves with the computer-based test system and concurrently develop new exam-taking strategies.

"It still remains a fact that most students have not been exposed to the computer testing," Mustafa said.

Since January, all MCAT testing has been conducted via computer at designated Thomson Prometric facilities.

Lesley Thomas, University Medical School admissions director, also said she recommends students -- if they feel ready and prepared -- take the exam as soon as possible. Thomas, like Mustafa, said taking the exam in the spring benefits students because of the University Medical School's rolling admissions process.

"But I don't want to say, 'take it,' when you are not prepared," Thomas added.

Thomas also pointed out that the University Medical School does not base admission solely on MCAT scores.

"It's very important, yes," Thomas said. "But we conduct a holistic review of the applicants."

Thomas said she and her staff also look at volunteer experience, clinical work, recommendation letters and personal essays.

Besides admission, however, Thomas added that taking the MCAT early in the application process can provide students with another beneficial opportunity.

"It's really important that applicants make sure that this is really the profession they want," Thomas said.