Hazing allegations prompt early fraternity initiation mandate

University administration stops new member pledging, argues nine-week period is enough time

Amid a rash of hazing allegations and the investigation of fraternity pledging, the University announced Thursday that all Inter-Fraternity Council fraternities must stop new member pledging and conduct initiations by Saturday at 6 p.m. The University later extended the deadline to Sunday evening at 6.

The one-day extension would “provide the necessary amount of time for several fraternities to successfully complete new member orientation,” Dean of Students Allen Groves said.

Groves contacted fraternities with the requests to “ensure student safety and [promote the] best practices governing the length of time for new member orientation,” according to the press release.

Of the 31 fraternities on grounds under IFC governance, one is currently under investigation for recent “inappropriate behavior.” Other investigations are said to begin in the next few days, but the University claimed this request is not in response to allegations of criminal misconduct.

“[Nine weeks is] a sufficient span of time that should have permitted new members the opportunity to learn the history, traditions and values of their respective fraternities,” Groves wrote in Thursday’s letter to fraternity presidents.

If fraternities do not cooperate with Thursday night’s request, the University threatened to postpone renewal of the Fraternal Organization Agreement with the IFC, which would prevent the groups from using University resources and participating in University-sponsored activities.

Groves and University President Teresa Sullivan addressed chapter presidents at the beginning of February to ensure that fraternity leadership would not be participating in any hazing during the pledge process. Groves also sent a recent notice to fraternity leaders reminding them to avoid practices that threaten student safety.

Groves will meet with IFC student leaders, as well as national staff and fraternity alumni next fall in an effort to make the new member process “more constructive,” according to the press release.

This story has been updated to reflect new developments.