Platform Analysis: Democrat Terry McAuliffe

Biography

Terence Richard “Terry” McAuliffe graduated from Bishop Ludden Junior/Senior High School, then attended The Catholic University of America and later obtained a law degree from Georgetown University. McAuliffe was co-chair of Bill Clinton’s 1996 re-election campaign, chair of Hillary Clinton’s election 2008 election campaign and chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2005. McAuliffe is a practicing Roman Catholic and currently lives in McLean, VA with his wife, Dorothy, and their five children.

Higher Education

McAuliffe believes a decrease in funding has caused higher education to be out of reach for many Virginians. He believes that giving community colleges more autonomy to make budget decisions will help keep tuition low and financial aid high for students. McAuliffe hopes to increase collaboration between community colleges and high schools and put career coaches in high schools to help guide students to future academic endeavors. McAuliffe also wants to implement modern management systems for colleges to become more financially efficient and ensure that there are welcoming places for returning veterans to go to college.

Abortion

McAuliffe is a pro-choice advocate. He supports current Virginia state laws that allow abortion within the first two trimesters and believes the decision should be between a woman and her doctor. McAuliffe is also a proponent of insurance-supported birth control pills for women.

Environment

McAuliffe has expressed enthusiasm to protect and preserve the Chesapeake Bay and has advocated for more open spaces in the commonwealth. He aims to preserve at least 400,000 acres in the next four years, as well as protect and maintain additional historical sites. He is an advocate for sustainable environmental practices and attracted the endorsement of former University Environmental Science Prof. Michael Mann and other climate change researchers.

Healthcare

McAuliffe supports the use of federal funds to expand Medicaid coverage to more than 400,000 additional Virginians. He hopes to implement a workforce training program to assist in the hiring of skilled personnel to fill positions created by Medicaid expansion. McAuliffe also supports the Affordable Care Act and wants to specifically focus on improving mental health care services in the state.

Job Creation

McAuliffe believes Virginia’s lack of emphasis on transportation, infrastructure and education is holding the state back in job creating and business growth. “Our transportation and education systems are the building blocks that allow the private sector to flourish,” he said on his website. McAuliffe hopes to maintain fewer, but smarter business regulations, diversify the economy for the 21st century and increase job opportunities for veterans.

Want to know more?

Click here to read about the platform of Republican candidate Ken Cuccinelli.

Click here to read about the platform of Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis.