NEWS

Platform Analysis: Libertarian Robert Sarvis

robertsarvis

Sarvis is a native of Fairfax, Va. and has an undergraduate degree from Harvard, advanced degrees from Cambridge and George Mason and a law degree from New York University. He has experience as an entrepreneur, a software engineer, a math teacher and a lawyer.

Biography

Higher Education

Robert Sarvis supports a departure from what he calls the 20th-century model of higher education, instead advocating programs that focus on apprenticeships, in-house vocational training and public-private partnerships to provide students training. “The best way to ensure that our investments are paying off is to get away from the standard model,” Sarvis said in a video interview with the Virginia Prosperity Project.

Health care

Sarvis wants to focus public health spending on mental-health care before other needs. He believes that the government should focus less on expanding expensive comprehensive coverage and push catastrophic insurance, which prevents financial ruin from large medical bills but does not cover smaller issues.

Abortion/Family Issues

Sarvis compares same-sex marriage to his own mixed race marriage and said on his website, ““I want to lead the fight now — in this election — to recognize same-sex marriages in Virginia.” Sarvis believes that abortion has proven far too divisive and does not advocate any changes to current law.

Job Creation

Sarvis favors a policy of governmental non-intervention in the economy to foster job growth in Virginia. He advocates minimizing the income tax and imposing a uniform consumption tax on all goods and services. Sarvis is in favor of eliminating special taxes and regulations on specific industries that give preferential treatment in order to promote new, competitive growth.

Environment

Sarvis supports environmental regulation through property rights and advocates changes to Virginia law to allow property owners to receive compensation from environmental damage done to their land by other organizations or individuals. In addition, Sarvis wants to implement strong liability laws that will hold companies responsible for environmental damage.

Want to know more?

Click here to read about the platform of Democratic candidate Terry McAuliffe.

Click here to read about the platform of Republican candidate Ken Cuccinelli.

Published November 3, 2013 in FP test, News

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• NycCav said:

Honestly...I have refrained from commenting as the CD is for the students as far as I am concerned (as an alum), but please stop embarrassing yourselves. ...

• Pat said:

Letting outside reporters like TR Shapiro come in and do circles around the CD and its staff in its own backyard is one thing; being unable to even acknowledge ...

• Uva_reader said:

The students who produced this video need to familiarize themselves with the Honor Code, which calls for students who lie to be punished, not thanked. ...

• JG said:

Translation of William Evan's world view: "If its not something worthwhile and beneficial to me personally, I have no problem calling for its destruction ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: EVANS: Gleaning meaning