Walrath dismissed from lacrosse team

Junior midfielder leaves program following assault

nswalrathjtruong

Third-year College student Carl Walrath, the Virginia lacrosse player who pleaded guilty to assault and obstruction of justice last Friday, was dismissed from the team today.

Third-year College student and Virginia lacrosse player Carl Walrath was dismissed from the team Tuesday. Walrath pleaded guilty to assault and obstruction of justice last Friday.

“I’ve determined that Carl Walrath will not return to participate in our men’s lacrosse program and have met with him to inform him of this decision,” Athletics Director Craig Littlepage said. “We thank him for his contributions to the program and wish him the best in the future.”

In an incident on the Corner last November, an intoxicated Walrath punched a police officer in the face and attempted to flee on foot. He was sentenced to 10 days in prison and 50 hours of mandatory community service.

Athletic department spokesperson Jim Daves said Walrath has been suspended from the lacrosse program since the time the original charges were made.

“Any student-athlete who is arrested and charged with a felony is automatically suspended from their team pending the outcome of the legal proceedings,” Daves said in an email. “Following the outcome of those proceedings, the head coach and athletics administration will determine the status of the individual.”

Walrath played in nine games at midfield for the lacrosse team last season and tallied one assist. He was also named to the All-ACC Academic Team.

Maddy Weingast contributed to the reporting of this story

Published January 28, 2014 in FP test, Sports, News