No. 5 Baseball sweeps Boston College, wins two walk-offs Saturday

Saturday night, the Virginia baseball team captured the back end of a nearly eight-hour doubleheader to complete a three-game sweep of Boston College at Davenport Field. A day after defeating the Eagles (6-12, 0-6 ACC) by a seven-run margin, the No. 5 Cavaliers (15-3, 5-1 ACC) twice prevailed by one run in walk-off fashion.

The first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, a 3-2 Virginia win, started at 1 p.m. and ended four hours later when junior Nick Howard knocked in sophomore right fielder Joe McCarthy in the bottom of the 12th inning. Howard, a two-way player, also shined on the mound, striking out five Eagles in two and a third scoreless innings to pick up the win. Freshman right-hander Connor Jones shut down Boston College for four and a third innings of relief, lowering his season ERA to 1.23.

The second game — which the Cavaliers won, 2-1 — was a pitcher’s duel as well, with sophomore left-hander Brandon Waddell and Eagles right-handed counterpart Jeff Burke each yielding one run in six and a third innings. Sophomore designated hitter John La Prise scored the game-winning run in the ninth inning when the Boston College defense splintered, making errors on consecutive plays.

La Prise was also instrumental in Friday’s 8-1 win, an effort propelled by the bottom third of the Virginia lineup and another quality start from sophomore left-hander Nathan Kirby (5-0, 0.59 ERA). La Prise, batting ninth, went 3-for-4, as did junior catcher Nate Irving out of the seven spot. Junior third baseman Kenny Towns, batting eighth, finished 3-for-3 with three RBI. Kirby blanked Boston College for six and a third innings, allowing four hits and a walk.

The Cavaliers play Rutgers and Towson at home this Tuesday and Wednesday. First pitch for both games is set for 4 p.m.

—compiled by Matthew Morris