U.Va. neurosurgery prof. wins Governor's Career Excellence Award

John Jane recognized after 45 years with the University

Neurosurgery Prof. John A. Jane, Sr. of the University Health System received the Governor’s Award for Career Excellence last Thursday. The award is granted to individuals who demonstrate professional achievement and improve efficiency and effectiveness in Virginia.

Jane has studied and operated on brain tumors, spinal tumors and cervical disks at the hospital for several decades and said he believes this was a factor in the receipt of the award.

“What they measured is that I’ve been a professor of neurosurgery here since 1969, and so that’s 45 years of doing that,” Jane said. “I think it was a long-term commitment to taking care of patients … and I think it was service to the Commonwealth and the people of the Commonwealth.“

Jane’s achievements are viewed as a reflection of the University hospital’s core values, said Health System spokesperson Eric Swensen.

“Dr. Jane’s excellence spans patient care, teaching and research — the three missions of the U.Va Health System,” Swensen said in an email. “This award is a wonderful tribute to the thousands of lives he has improved through his service.”

Throughout his 45 years at the University, Jane has provided inclusive care, while also contributing significantly to the medical world, Neurosurgery Department Chair Dr. Mark Shaffrey said.

“He’s participated in significant scientific achievement and has diagnosed and treated and improved the lives of an enormous number of patients,” Shaffrey said. “It’s been an incredible journey of seeing and treating patients and advancing our scientific knowledge of neurological diseases.”

Jane has treated patients from Virginia, the greater United States and beyond, including actor Christopher Reeve.

“It’s nice to be recognized that I’ve been practicing for many years and taking care of literally thousands of patients,” Jane said. “There’s never been an indigent patient that I’ve charged during the 45 years.”

Jane also served as an editor for the Journal of Neurosurgery for 20 years, a publication he brought from Minnesota to Charlottesville.

“I think right now, Charlottesville and Virginia are known as the home for the Journal of Neurosurgery,” Shaffrey said. “It’s really one more great thing that he’s done.”

Jane continues to practice and operate within the University Health System with no current intention of retiring.