Women's Center hosts survivor training

Kaplan says trainings help build support network

“[The training] talk[s] about trauma and how trauma impacts people and appropriate responses,” Kaplan said.

The University’s Women’s Center hosted about 20 people for Survivor Support Network Training in the Newcomb Hall Galley Room Wednesday.

“The Survivor Support Network is a web of University of Virginia faculty, staff, administrators, and students who have been trained in providing support to survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, stalking and child sexual abuse,” according the Center’s website.

Claire Kaplan, the director of sexual and domestic violence services at the Women’s Center, said the trainings aim to create safety for survivors of violence, especially at those within the University, and have been occurring since 2008.

The training teaches “basic info on what sexual assault is, partner violence and stalking,” Kaplan said. “[The training] talk[s] about trauma and how trauma impacts people and appropriate responses.”

The session started with a lecture and continued with a panel of survivors, who spoke to their experiences and a number of group practice scenarios.

The presentation focused on different topics: it described the “spiral of violence,” and subsequent academic abuse and trauma victims of sexual violence often face. It also defined the terms used in survivor support and offered ways in which survivors can be best supported.

Published September 4, 2014 in News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons