Jesse Matthew hearing scheduled for Mar. 4

Albemarle County Circuit Courthouse will hold session

The Albemarle County Circuit Courthouse has scheduled a hearing for the Jesse Matthew case for Mar. 4. The session will begin at 10:30 a.m., and Matthew is set to attend in person.

Lee Caitlin, Albemarle County assistant county executive, said the judge will make a decision as to whether cameras will be allowed in the courtroom.

Matthew’s three-week jury trial for charges of the murder of second-year College student Hannah Graham was scheduled for June 29 to July 17. He has been indicted on counts of first-degree murder, abduction with intent to defile and reckless driving in connection with Graham’s disappearance and death. His lawyer, Jim Camblos, requested a bench trial for Matthew but was overruled.

Both Camblos and Albemarle Commonwealth’s Attorney Denise Lunsford have requested that parts of the case be closed to the public, but no decision has yet been made on those motions.

Matthew will also stand trial in a separate case in Fairfax County for charges of attempted capital murder, sexual penetration with an object and abduction with the intent to defile a Fairfax woman. The two week trial — originally scheduled to begin Mar. 9 but delayed at the request of the defense — will begin June 8.

Caitlin said no further information is available for public release at this time.