Lessons from man’s best friend

Why humans love dogs so much

Last weekend at the Florida State men’s basketball game, the halftime show featured two dogs running around, catching frisbees and doing the occasional back flip. It sounds simple, but it was the best half time show I have seen to date.

This prompted my friend to ask, “Why are dogs so great?” What makes us all so captivated by them? Why do so many people treat them as if they were members of their families? After thinking about this for a little bit, I realized it is because dogs embody all the qualities that humans wish they had.

First, dogs are quick to forgive. Were you forced to lock your dog in his crate while you were out all day? That’s okay, he will be just as excited to see you when you get home. Did you tell your dog you can’t play right now? That’s okay, she’ll still want to play with you tomorrow.

I’ve also observed dogs seem to affirm everyone’s worth. They let you know that you are worth waiting all day for. You are worth exerting all the energy it takes for them to run to the door and jump on you five times. Even your aimless wandering around the house is exciting enough for them to follow you the whole time.

Dogs are also always ready to exercise. They are happy to walk or run with you anytime — and even though they may get a little distracted along the way, I admire that kind of motivation.

Dogs are inquisitive. They want to sniff out the trace of everyone who has ever walked on that spot before them. They want to know what that new smell on you is. They want to know who the new person walking through the door is. I’d love to be able to meet all life’s nuances with that kind of curious enthusiasm.

Dogs are also patient. My dog will sit in the same place on the couch for the entire time my family is away from home, listening to every car that drives by and awaiting the one she recognizes. My dad has also trained her to sit down for the entire time he is preparing her dinner. She sits there, shaking because she is so anxious, until he says the magical word, “free,” and she races to her bowl. Talk about discipline.

When it comes to appreciating the little things, dogs are experts — they adore the simple joys of life. Some sprinkled steak on top of their dog food? They feel like royalty. A belly rub? They may as well be at the spa.

Furthermore, dogs don’t get discouraged by failure. As soon as I manage to take my dog’s toy from her during our usual tug of war, she is eager to try again. She has had a lifetime of failed attempts at catching squirrels in our backyard, but that doesn’t stop her from trying every 10 minutes.

Dogs are also impressively outgoing. If there are people coming over, you can bet they will greet every single one of them. My family wonders if my dog would know to growl at a burglar, or if she would just jump up and greet him like anyone else.

To that end, dogs are unfalteringly loyal. They know when you are sick and they come to your side. When you throw a ball, they want nothing more than to bring it back to you — even if they make you fight to get it out of their mouths. They always want shotgun, and they don’t judge you for your horrible driver’s-seat a cappella.

And perhaps most importantly, dogs love unconditionally. They don’t care if you just got fired, if you are wearing a ridiculous outfit or if you forgot to feed them. They love you just for being you. Maybe next time someone asks me what I want to be when I grow up (or…next year?) I will just say I want to emulate all the admirable qualities of dogs.

Kelly’s column runs biweekly Tuesdays. She can be reached at k.seegers@cavalierdaily.com.