In defense of the exclamation mark

Why a little excitement shouldn’t be wrong

I recently heard it’s considered unprofessional to end a sentence with an exclamation point. I find this outrageous!

Seriously, I struggle with this bit of writing advice. When writing emails to potential employers, I want them to know I am enthusiastic about what I am applying for. Or, if I have been accepted to an internship, I want them to know that I really do mean to thank them. A period just doesn’t give the same emphasis after a “Thank you!”

I am not sure if this formality applies to emailing professors, but if it does, I certainly haven’t been following it. I want them to know that I really do want them to “have a good day!” and not just “have a good day.”

Maybe I am placing too much value in exclamation marks and not giving periods enough credit. I am certainly working under the assumption that exclamation marks convey some sort of authenticity that doesn’t accompany periods, and that may be a mistake. Maybe there is something to be said for keeping your emotions within the confines of little dots, but I can’t help but feel this rule is too much of a restraint.

When it comes to fiction writing, I understand: You want to be able to craft a sentence that is so full of meaning that it doesn’t matter how you end it. But when you are writing a brief email, this principle does not apply. I am not trying to use colorful language and cleverly structured sentences — I am simply trying to convey ordinary phrases with added emphasis.

Of course, I also know that too many exclamation marks are overkill. But I just love using them so much! I hope you enjoy using them too! I can’t wait to end this sentence with another one!

Does one or two scattered around really make someone a poorer writer or a less qualified candidate? If we are all forced to conform to the same way to end our sentence, our personal voices are compromised in the process.

What would it be like if we all talked that way in real life? I am pretty sure employers don’t want you to come into an interview and talk in a monotone voice about your interests, qualifications and desire for the position. People generally value a sense of passion and enthusiasm.

I think we should be able to step outside of the mold a little bit. We should reevaluate our priorities. It is less important to exhibit the knowledge that exclamation marks are — apparently — a grammatical faux pas than to add a little enthusiasm to communication.

By judging someone’s qualifications or sense of professionalism based on punctuation, we are trivializing much more important qualities such as integrity, enthusiasm or intelligence. A respectable use of exclamation marks shouldn’t be looked down upon, but should instead be a testament to a person’s willingness to add a little bit of personal flair to whatever they decide to do.