No. 4 Men’s tennis drops Miami, No. 32 Florida State to conclude regular season

The Virginia men’s tennis team downed Florida State and Miami on the road this weekend in its final matches of the regular season. The No. 4 Cavaliers (20-3, 12-0 ACC) wrapped up conference play without a loss for the ninth consecutive season while reaching 20 wins for the 13th year in a row.

Virginia opened the weekend against the No. 32 Seminoles (18-9, 6-5 ACC) Friday evening at the Scott Spiecher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Florida. The Cavaliers picked up the doubles point for the 13th consecutive match with wins on the top two courts. No. 5 sophomore Luca Corinteli and junior Ryan Shane locked down the doubles point with an 8-5 win against No. 13 juniors Benjamin Lock and Marco Nunez at No. 1.

Virginia took care of business in singles with three consecutive straight-set wins. No. 4 Shane got the Cavaliers started with a 6-0, 6-1 win on court three, and freshman Alexander Ritschard — healthy for the first time in a month — delivered on court five. No. 16 sophomore Thai-Son Kwiatkowski gave Virginia the match win with a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 4 singles.

The Cavaliers next traveled to Coral Gables, Florida to take on Miami Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes (7-16, 1-11 ACC) put up a fight in what Virginia coach Brian Boland called “brutally tough” conditions, but the Cavaliers’ early 3-0 lead stood up.

Corinteli and Shane combined for their 11th consecutive win at No. 1 doubles, while senior Mitchell Frank and freshman Collin Altamirano pulled out an 8-6 win at No. 3 to give their team the doubles point.

In singles, sophomore J.C. Aragone and Kwiatkowski earned wins before Miami senior Wilfredo Gonzalez topped No. 77 Altamirano on court three for the Hurricanes’ first point. No. 20 Frank then clinched the overall Virginia victory, dispatching No. 73 freshman Piotr Lomacki by a 6-4, 6-2 score on court one. Ritschard added a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 5 singles.

Virginia earned the No. 1 seed in next weekend’s ACC championship and will play No. 8 seed Florida State or No. 9 seed NC State Friday at 9 a.m. The tournament will take place at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, North Carolina.