“Entourage” lacks plot, substance

Film sequel to HBO series a disappointment

<p></p>

In “Entourage,” the film adaptation of the identically-named HBO series, main characters Vince (Adrian Grenier), Ari (Jeremy Piven), Eric (Kevin Connolly), Turtle (Jerry Ferrara) and Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon) are up to their old antics. Unfortunately, this old routine falls flat on the big screen. “Entourage” chronicles the crew’s struggle to produce the risky movie “Hyde” in Hollywood. However, the film is only tenuously held together by a string of star cameos, crass one-liners and topless girls. While director Doug Ellin gives viewers a glimpse into the materialism and superficiality of Hollywood, it’s at the expense of a virtually plotless film.

“Entourage” fits neatly into the canon of unremarkable movies about immature men. Instead of high stakes or genuine character conflict, most of the run time is taken up by petty arguments with or about women. Almost devoid of dramatic tension, the film treats viewers to a 104-minute tour through the streets of Los Angeles where Vince and his friends do little but drive their shiny cars and have fun. Thankfully, the movie defines “fun” for those audience members not familiar with the moral and social codes of the “Entourage” world when Johnny Drama explains that “fun is when you forget a girl’s name while you’re f***ing her.” Sadly, that’s not even his shallowest moment.

Ostensibly, the men are trying to wrangle with a Texas financier’s son to push their movie through production. But there’s never a moment when viewers question whether Vince and his friends will get their way. Perhaps the film is so boring because, as Vince says in the series, “Everything will work out … it always does.” Ellin doesn’t attempt to question this adage. Even when the men are worried about their careers or relationships, they’re never too worried to abstain from partying. This dissolves any potential suspense that might come from challenges and conflict. Cameos from other notable stars are amusing, but after Ari’s fifth phone-tantrum, no Liam Neeson nor Jessica Alba appearance can revive genuine audience interest in the onscreen action.

“Entourage” is somewhat interesting, however, as a commentary on the everyday routines of Hollywood. The men spend a lot of time and money without much to tangibly show for it. Their one goal is to create “Hyde,” but they have trouble applying much energy toward their supposedly beloved project. They delegate most of their tasks and often ignore their responsibilities altogether in order to brunch on eggs benedict and talk about how great sex is. Whether Los Angeles actually operates on the same level of inefficiency, Ellin’s portrayal of the modern American celebrity as more playboy than artist is striking and very clearly received.

Although, it is vaguely entertaining, “Entourage” doesn’t live up to the TV series. This film was a missed opportunity to delight old fans and create new “Entourage” enthusiasts. Walking the red carpet with Vince Chase is entertaining for an evening, but sadly, the feature film culmination of the show’s 8-season storyline is entirely forgettable.