University history professor, NAACP board chairman Julian Bond passes away

President Sullivan, Black Student Alliance release statements, reflect

NAACP Board Chairman Julian Bond, a University professor emeritus of history, passed away Saturday at age 75 in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

During his collegiate career at Morehouse College, Bond was extremely active in the civil rights movement of the 1960s. A professor at a number of universities such as Harvard University, Williams College and the University of Pennsylvania, Bond also served with the NAACP for a number of years, elected to his most recent position in 1998. Bond was also a founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which focuses on seeking justice for minority and marginalized groups in the United States.

University President Teresa Sullivan released an email statement Sunday regarding Bond’s contributions to the University.

"Julian Bond was an enormously respected civil rights leader, politician, scholar, and writer who shaped the course of history through his life and work,” Sullivan said. “He made significant contributions to the University of Virginia, teaching thousands of our students while serving as a mentor and role model for all of us.

The Black Student Alliance also released a statement regarding Bond’s life both with the University, the civil rights movement and the communities in which he lived.

“Mr. Bond modeled true honor: he did what was right and spoke up for justice not only when no one was looking, but when everyone was watching, and many warned him that it would be in his best interest to be quiet,” the statement read. “We hope that Mr. Bond rests in peace, and our thoughts are with his family and friends.”