Women’s basketball faces streaking Wolfpack

The Cavaliers look to spark more offense from guards

<p>Sophomore guard&nbsp;Mikayla Venson and Virginia will face NC State in&nbsp;Broughton High School's gym Wednesday.</p>

Sophomore guard Mikayla Venson and Virginia will face NC State in Broughton High School's gym Wednesday.

Before its Feb. 4 matchup with Duke inside that toasty little cathedral called Cameron Indoor, Virginia women’s basketball will experience a similar environment along Tobacco Road. With its home court at PNC Arena occupied by a men’s game, North Carolina State will host the Cavaliers (13-8, 3-4 ACC) Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Broughton High School in Raleigh, NC.

The Wolfpack (14-6, 5-2 ACC) have gone an impressive 5-1 throughout January, including hard-fought victories over Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, No. 22 Duke and Virginia Tech. NC State suffered its lone loss to No. 23 Louisville in a 92-90 heartbreaker, after a Cardinal sank two free throws with three seconds left.

Virginia will look to limit three Wolfpack juniors, each of whom average double figures in scoring. Guard Miah Spencer has tallied 10 or more points in all but four contests this season, while averaging 5.3 assists and 5 rebounds per game. Forward Jennifer Mathurin shoots 37 percent from three and leads the Wolfpack on the boards.

Guard Dominique Wilson — the team’s leading scorer at 16 points per game — loves to get to the line. In the Wolfpack’s barnburner against Louisville, she drained 15 of 17 free throws on her way to a career-high 31 points.

The Cavaliers will have their work cut out on the defensive end. Spencer, Mathurin and Wilson each pose serious threats and get their teammates involved defensively. Following the 58-55 defeat against a Pittsburgh squad that entered winless in conference play this year, Virginia is searching for more offensive production out of sophomore guard Mikayla Venson and junior guard Breyana Mason.

In what should be another close game Wednesday, look for Cavalier sophomores Aliyah Huland El and Lauren Moses to build off decent performances and provide a much-needed spark with scoring the basketball.