Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies at 79

Scalia served on Law School faculty from 1967-74

<p>Justice Antonin Scalia, who served on the Supreme Court for nearly three decades, died Feb. 13.</p>

Justice Antonin Scalia, who served on the Supreme Court for nearly three decades, died Feb. 13.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died Feb. 13 at age 79.

Members of the University Law School community are mourning his loss, the Law School said in a statement Sunday.

Scalia served on the Law School’s faculty from 1967 until 1974. While at the University, he taught Comparative Law, Commercial Transactions, Conflict of Law and Problems in U.S. Communication Policy and Contracts.

Even after he left the University in 1974, Scalia continued to work with the Law School, at one point serving as an adjunct professor. In 1983, Scalia helped found the Journal of Law & Politics, which is still in existence today.

In 1986, Ronald Reagan nominated Scalia to serve on the Supreme Court. As a Supreme Court justice, Scalia was a strong supporter of the conservative originalism movement, which places a strong emphasis on the founders’ original intent when writing the Constitution.

During his term as a Supreme Court justice, Scalia kept close ties with the University. In the past 10 years, six University Law graduates have clerked for Scalia, and another recent graduate was chosen to clerk for him.

Scalia also spoke at many Law School events and was scheduled to speak in Charlottesville later this month during the Federalist Society’s National Student Symposium.

Reports say Scalia died of natural causes at a hunting ranch in west Texas.