Women’s lacrosse defeats Hokies to finish regular season

<p>Senior attacker Kelly Boyd netted four goals&nbsp;Friday in Virginia's 14-7 win against Virginia Tech.</p>

Senior attacker Kelly Boyd netted four goals Friday in Virginia's 14-7 win against Virginia Tech.

The No. 11 Virginia women’s lacrosse team finished its regular season with a win this past Friday in Blacksburg, defeating Virginia Tech, 14-7.

The Cavaliers (9-7, 3-4 ACC) got off to a somewhat slow start in the game, going down 2-0 just over five minutes in. However, a dominant offensive surge in the middle of the first half put Virginia in control, and the team cruised on to achieve its fourth victory in the last five games.

Senior attacker Kelly Boyd and junior attacker Kelly Reese led the Cavaliers in scoring with four goals each. Sophomore midfielder Kasey Behr chipped in two goals — she has scored at least one goal in every regular season game this year. Additionally, junior attackers Posey Valis and Besser Dyson, senior midfielder Mary Alati and freshman midfielder Maggie Jackson all chipped in one goal apiece.

Virginia outshot the Hokies (5-12, 0-7 ACC), 40-17, and also held the edge in draw controls, 14-9. With the single elimination ACC tournament up next, the win guarantees the Cavaliers a season record above .500, making them eligible to be selected to play in the NCAA tournament.

The win also gives Virginia sports the victory over Virginia Tech in the Commonwealth Clash, an annual rivalry contest between the schools that encompasses various sports. Friday’s victory gives the Cavaliers the clinching eleventh point needed to defeat the Hokies 11-5.

Virginia Tech got off to a quick start, scoring two goals less than two minutes apart to take a 2-0 lead with 24:52 left in the first half. But the Cavaliers responded just 18 seconds later, as Boyd scored on an assist from Dyson to put Virginia on the board with 24:34 remaining in the first to cut the deficit to 2-1.

The Cavaliers then rattled off six consecutive goals, which five different players scored. Boyd capped the scoring run with her third goal on another Dyson assist to give Virginia a commanding 7-2 lead with 10:27 remaining in the first half.

Virginia Tech scored to end the Cavaliers’ goal streak with 3:18 left in the first to cut Virginia’s halftime lead to 7-3.

The Cavaliers scored the first three goals of the second half. Boyd and Reese scored to give Virginia a 10-3 lead with 22:15 remaining.

A goal by the Hokies with 11:34 left was followed by four consecutive Virginia goals, as Alati, Behr and Reese scored to give the Cavaliers their largest lead of the game at 14-4 with 4:56 left. Virginia Tech scored three straight goals after, but it was not enough to overcome the deficit as Virginia won by a final score of 14-7.

Virginia will return to Blacksburg Thursday to play No. 13 Duke (9-7, 4-3) in the first round of the ACC tournament. The fourth-seeded Blue Devils defeated the fifth-seeded Cavaliers earlier this season, 11-8.