No. 13 Louisville dominates men’s soccer, 6-1

<p>Sophomore forward Wesley Wade&nbsp;scored the second goal of the night for the Cavaliers - scoring&nbsp;a goal in his second consecutive match.</p>

Sophomore forward Wesley Wade scored the second goal of the night for the Cavaliers - scoring a goal in his second consecutive match.

The No. 16 Virginia men’s soccer team (3-2-2, 0-2-1 ACC) had a tough weekend, falling to ACC rival Louisville, 6-1, in a lopsided match. The No. 13 Cardinals (7-1-1, 3-0 ACC) have had a phenomenal start to the season, beating several top teams and maintaining an undefeated conference record.

The Cavaliers were overwhelmed from the start by a strong performance from Louisville, who jumped right out of the gate to take a commanding 4-0 lead. This set Virginia behind the 8-ball, and the Cavaliers could not muster up a comeback to dig themselves out the hole that they had created.

Louisville had five different players score a goal, including junior forward Mohamed Thiaw, who scored twice. The Cardinals were able to execute on all cylinders offensively, with their goals coming in a few different ways, including plays off of free kicks and shots either kicked or headed for goals.

Virginia scored its only goal in the second half, courtesy of sophomore forward Wesley Wade. The goal was Wade’s second of the season. Redshirt junior midfielder Pablo Aguilar was awarded the assist on the play.

The lopsided nature of the match was evident in the stat sheet, with Louisville outshooting Virginia, 20-1.

The Cavaliers now look to rebound from a rough match with a three-game homestand that begins when Cornell visits Charlottesville Tuesday. The game is scheduled to take place at Klöckner Stadium at 7 p.m.

Virginia will then take on in-state rival Virginia Tech in a Commonwealth Clash battle Friday before hosting Hofstra the following Tuesday.