Women's golf finishes 11th in loaded field

<p>Freshman Julia Ford put together three of her strongest rounds of the fall, posting a team-best score of 218 (2-over) to finish tied for 18th overall out of 96 golfers. As a group, Virginia placed 11th.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman Julia Ford put together three of her strongest rounds of the fall, posting a team-best score of 218 (2-over) to finish tied for 18th overall out of 96 golfers. As a group, Virginia placed 11th. 

The Virginia women’s golf team finished in 11th place out of 18 teams in the Landfall Tradition tournament this past weekend. The Cavaliers shot a combined three-round score of 895 (31-over).

The team’s performance was steady across the weekend, as Virginia shot a 300 (12-over) in the first round, 297 (9-over) in the second round and then a 298 (10-over) in the final round.

The tournament was especially competitive, with 12 of the 18 competing teams being ranked in the top 50 nationally according to golfstat.com. No. 13 Wake Forest and No. 19 South Carolina tied for first place, each posting a combined score of 859 (5-under).

Freshman Julia Ford was the breakout performer for Virginia this weekend. Ford, who was ranked as the No. 52 player nationally in the high school Class of 2016 coming into Virginia, had her best tournament of the fall. The freshman posted a team best score of 218 (2-over) to finish tied for 18th overall out of 96 golfers.

The Landfall Tradition was the Cavaliers’ final tournament of the fall season. The team will next compete in the spring on Feb. 10 in the Florida State Matchup.