No. 16 Virginia blows out Boston College

<p>Junior guard Devon Hall scored a team-high 13 points, hitting on both of his attempts from behind the three-point line.</p>

Junior guard Devon Hall scored a team-high 13 points, hitting on both of his attempts from behind the three-point line.

The No. 16 Virginia basketball team won on the road in a midweek clash with conference foe Boston College. The Cavaliers (14-3, 4-2 ACC) thrashed the Eagles (9-10, 2-4 ACC), 71-54, at Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Virginia never trailed as the Cavaliers jumped out to a 6-0 lead at 2:45 into the game. Boston College tied the score up once in the first half at 8-8, but Virginia stretched its lead to 23-8 with a 15-0 run later on in the half. The Cavaliers led 42-25 at intermission.

The Eagles committed 16 turnovers over the course of the game, while sophomore guard Jordan Chatman led Boston College in scoring with 16 points. Senior forward Connar Tava also reached the double digits with 12 points. Overall, the Cavaliers were able to hold the Eagles, who score an average of 72.3 points per game, to 19 points under that number.

Meanwhile, Virginia got ahead with 51.9 percent field goal shooting. Three Cavaliers scored in double figures, as junior guard Devon Hall led the team with 13 points while recording five assists. Junior guard Darius Thompson scored 10 points, and junior forward Isaiah Wilkins recorded 11 points. Wilkins also tallied nine rebounds to lead the team.

Coach Tony Bennett got to rest Hall, Wilkins and others later in the game due to the early lead. Boston College had won its first two home ACC games before falling to Virginia.

The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville to take on Georgia Tech Saturday at 2 p.m.