Jun 23, 2017

SPORTS

Virginia men’s basketball announces Darius Thompson will transfer

spmbballthompsonrdizon

Coach Tony Bennett announced that junior guard Darius Thompson will be transferring this offseason.

Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett announced Thursday afternoon that junior guard Darius Thompson will be transferring this offseason. The announcement comes just one day following the news of junior guard Marial Shayok’s and sophomore forward Jarred Reuter’s departures, and two days after transfer junior forward Austin Nichols declaring for the NBA Draft.

Thompson played his freshman year at Tennessee before transferring to Virginia and redshirting the 2014-15 season. Over the past two seasons, Thompson averaged 5.2 points and 1.8 assists per game. In total, he played 70 games for the Cavaliers.

"Darius Thompson informed me he has decided to play his final season at another school following his graduation from Virginia," Bennett said. "Although you never want to see young men transfer, I understand this is part of coaching.”

It is unknown where Thompson will play next season. His departure leaves another scholarship open for Bennett to give to either a transfer or rising freshman this offseason.

Published March 23, 2017 in M Basketball, Sports