Flyers with old Bellamy tweets posted on Multicultural Student Center, LGBTQ Center

Doctored photo of Robert E. Lee as statue holding Confederate flag among flyers posted

<p>Old Bellamy tweets (left) and doctored photo of Robert E. Lee statue with Confederate flag (right) taped to the Multicultural Student Center windows</p>

Old Bellamy tweets (left) and doctored photo of Robert E. Lee statue with Confederate flag (right) taped to the Multicultural Student Center windows

Flyers featuring old tweets from Charlottesville Vice Mayor Wes Bellamy and images of Robert E. Lee as a statue holding a Confederate flag were posted on the Multicultural Student Center, LGBTQ Center and Media Activities Center in Newcomb Hall late Saturday night.

The tweets from Bellamy, dating between 2009 and 2014, featured profanities against the LGBTQ community, female genitalia and white people, among others.

The tweets led Bellamy to step down from his position on the Virginia State Board of Education in November. He later resigned from his teaching position at Albemarle High School in December.

The flyer of Robert E. Lee as a statue featured him holding a snake with the words, “modernism,” “globalism,” “marxism” and “[political correctness]” written on it. This follows the recent debate in Charlottesville City Council, which ended with the decision to remove the statue of Robert E. Lee from Lee Park, despite state laws prohibiting the removal of war monuments. Supporters of the statue have since filed a lawsuit seeking to prevent its removal.

Scott Rheinheimer, assistant director of LGBTQ student services, said in an email to The Cavalier Daily on Sunday that he had been made aware of the flyers, but did not have enough information to offer comment.

The MSC and Bellamy did not return requests for comment.