Softball falls in final series outing against Boston College

Cavalier offense falters against pitching of Jessica Deswick for for second time this weekend

sp-OliviaGott-CourtesyVirginiaAthletics

Junior catcher Olivia Gott had two of Virginia's three hits in the final game against Boston College. 

Courtesy Virginia Athletics

Boston College ace pitcher Jessica Deswick built off her 8-0 perfect win in the opening game by striking out a game-high three Virginia batters Saturday — leading her team to a 3-0 victory. Junior pitcher Lacy Smith started for the Cavaliers, taking the loss to move to 5-6 for her season.

After finding themselves in a hole losing the first of two games, the Virginia softball team (9-22, 1-8 ACC) failed to get any sort of offensive mojo and fell to 1-8 in conference play. Junior catcher Olivia Gott connected on two of the three Virginia base hits as the Cavalier offense was held to a second shutout in three games by the 12-15 Eagles (12-15, 3-3 ACC). 

Aside from Gott, freshman utility player Molly Keshin was the only Cavalier to reach base safely. The positive play of junior pitcher Erika Osherow tossing three and two-thirds scoreless innings in relief of Smith surely brought Coach Joanna Hardin some added encouragement.

Virginia looks to rebound after bumpy stretch falling to bottom of the Coastal Division with a 9-22 overall record. Next up on the conference slate is a doubleheader visit from the North Carolina from March 30-31. Before that the Cavaliers look to return to their winning ways against George Mason Wednesday. 

related stories