Gridiron trio grabs ACC awards

Thomas Jones, Todd Braverman and Chris Williams each garnered honors from the ACC for their part in Saturday's 20-17 victory over North Carolina.

After carrying the ball 35 times for 149 yards and one touchdown, Jones was named the Offensive Back of the Week.

Braverman, who nailed a 50-yard field goal in the final minute of the game to lift Virginia to the victory, received a nod as Specialist of the Week for his late-game heroics. He nailed both extra points and both field goals he attempted in Chapel Hill.

Meanwhile, redshirt first-year Chris Williams took Rookie of the Week honors after his first game as a Virginia safety. The Newport News native snagged one intercpetion, made five tackles and broke up one pass.

Yet more awards: The Cavalier trophy collection continued to grow as sweeper Julia Richardson of the field hockey team was named the ACC Player of the Week.

The Cav defense, led by Richardson, allowed only one goal in a pair of wins over Massachusetts and Quinnipiac. As a result, Virginia now boasts the top-scoring defense in America.

Hucles and Hermann: Monday Angela Hucles made the list of finalists for the Hermann Trophy, the award given to the outstanding college women's soccer player of the year.

Hucles already has shattered the Virginia all-time scoring record with 48 goals and 13 assists. The winner of the Hermann Trophy will be announced Dec. 11 in Charlotte, N.C.

Sold out: Apparently Virginia football fans couldn't wait to get a peek at newly expanded Scott Stadium.

With almost two weeks until the Cavaliers' home opener, the University has already sold out of season tickets for the 1999 campaign.

In total, 29,023 season tickets were sold -- a new sales record. This breaks the record set last year of 26,185 and marks the fourth-straight year Virginia has set a new season ticket sales record.

Single ticket games still remain for the home games against Wake Forest, Duke and Buffalo.

McCray suffers bad break: Florida State will have one less blue-chipper available for the rest of 1999. Starting fullback William McCray fractured his right ankle during practice Monday. According to Seminole Head Trainer Randy Oravetz, X-rays indicated a broken fibula bone and a torn deltoid ligament in his right ankle.

The injuries will knock McCray out for the rest of the season.

"Hopefully we can get him back for a bowl game," Oravetz said in an interview following the evaluation.

With McCray shelved, converted quarterback Dan Kendra will step into the starting fullback position.

Ricky's return: After spraining his ankle three weeks ago, New Orleans Saint rookie running back Ricky Williams is back in practice, and will play in the season opener against Carolina Sunday.

Williams practiced for the first time since the injury this Monday. He sprained his ankle in the Saints' exhibition opener against Miami Aug. 13.