Incubus amazes with thoughtful edge

After participating in both Ozzfest and the Family Values tour last year, it is a wonder that Incubus hasn't achieved the same level of stardom as Orgy or Limp Bizkit. And with its newest release, "Make Yourself," the band proves once again that it has more talent than the entire Korn clan combined.

Although Incubus has often been given the title "Faith No More with a D.J." by their critics, it is far more than a cheap rip-off. Brandon Boyd is one of the most talented vocalists in hard rock today, while D.J. Kilmore adds to the band's solid rhythm section with record scratches and other effects.

The first single from their new CD "Make Yourself" is "Pardon Me," a song which should be receiving far more airplay that is has. The song utilizes the band's basic formula - take a funky, laidback verse and then smoothly segue into a hard and heavy chorus - and showcases Boyd's brilliant grasp of rhyme and rhythm as he takes the listener through his twisted take on reality.

In fact, the lyrics are this album's chief strength. While the band's 1997 release, "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.," featured a collection of goofy metaphors and gripes about society, "Make Yourself" is, as the title suggests, a more inward-looking effort. Rather than scream about childhood trauma or attempt to make teeny-boppers cry and drop to their knees in reverence - as so many popular lyricists do these days - Brandon looks to the ideals of love, responsibility and individualism for his inspiration.

Realizing these maxims, "The Warmth" is a call for strength in the face of adversity. The song ends with the admonition, "Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old." This final verse serves as a smooth transition into "When It Comes," a tale of "mental piracy" and being "emphatic about not being static."

Transitions are a key aspect of this album; the songs almost always run into one another. While most CDs place a two-second gap between tracks, Incubus purposefully had these removed from "Make Yourself" to produce a continuous album that must be taken in as an entity.

Unfortunately, the album is much more enjoyable if certain tracks are periodically skipped. "Stellar" is one of these songs. While the lyrics are reminiscent of "Anti-Gravity Love Song" from "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.," the song itself does not work nearly as well. The band's normally uncanny ability to switch gears from slow to fast just doesn't get the job done here; the change is too abrupt and then lasts for too long.

Other tracks certainly make up for these deficiencies. The opening track, "Privilege," is an outstanding piece of work, while the lyrics to the album's title track make it a song to remember despite a few production weaknesses.

"Drive" now is slated to be the second single from the album - certainly a wise choice. The song is unlike anything the band has done before; the main riff almost sounds like it is played on an acoustic while D.J. Kilmore's scratches add a burst of bass when the song slows down. "Drive" could have come from Tom Petty's repertoire, but he could never sing this song as well as Boyd does.

But while "Drive" is an excellent song to release, "Consequence" would likely be a better choice. The scratches dominate the first part of the song, which flows beautifully until the harder chorus kicks in.

While not as strong an effort as "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.," "Make Yourself" is certainly one of the best and most inspired albums released this year. Not every track is a masterpiece, but the ones that shine through make such mistakes easily forgivable. Primus fans undoubtedly will enjoy the newer songs, Incubus is now on tour with Claypool and company, and the album is destined to make an impact on the radio.

For, as Incubus reminds us in "Consequence," "it's bigger than you or me."

Grade: A-