Cavs hope win over Bulls will send squad bowling

Just about this time last week, the Cavaliers were hoping for a positive turnout against Georgia Tech. Heading into tomorrow's game against Buffalo, the Cavs (5-4, 4-3 ACC) are one step away from becoming bowl eligible.

The Bulls (0-9) just have returned to Division I-A after almost 20 years in I-AA and still are getting used to the higher level of play. They lost to Hofstra, a Division I-AA team, last week, 20-13, causing some Cavalier fans to question why Virginia is playing this game.

"I don't see why we should not play Buffalo," Virginia Coach George Welsh said. "I bet they're going to be pretty good in a few years."

Some Cavaliers, however, said they look forward to an easier game, especially after the last two weeks, where they faced Florida State and Georgia Tech.

"I think we have earned a Buffalo after the last few weeks," offensive lineman Noel LaMontagne said. "You're always going to have an out-of-Conference game and that's one good thing about it."

But considering the game to be an easy win could prove to be dangerous for the Cavs, who unexpectedly lost to Duke Oct. 8.

The game is even more important because a win tomorrow would make Virginia eligible for a bowl. To be bowl eligible, the NCAA requires teams to have six Division I-A wins.

"It still comes down to winning every game, the sense of urgency is still there," LaMontagne said. "You never know what will happen, look at Minnesota and Penn State."

Because of Buffalo's poor record, it is possible that several of the non-starters will have a chance to play tomorrow, and Welsh said he has warned the team to be prepared to hit the field and play with different people.

"We tell all of our backups, be ready to go in, you're only one play away," he said. "Sometimes you get rusty when you don't play."

One backup who may need to prepare is quarterback David Rivers, who started in last week's game against Georgia Tech, filling in for starting quarterback Dan Ellis who was injured against Florida State Oct. 30.

Though Rivers went on to lead the Cavs to victory, Welsh announced Wednesday that Ellis would start against the Bulls.

"Basically it came down to the fact that it was only one week," Welsh said. "I have a long-standing rule that a starter doesn't lose his spot after only one week."

Rivers, however, may serve as a back-up for Ellis in tomorrow's game.

Heisman Trophy prospect Thomas Jones expressed confidence in the team and mentioned he plans to step up his personal game because the upcoming matchup is so crucial for Virginia.

"Hopefully I can add on to my yards per game. The next two games are really important to us," Jones said. "With whoever is out there you have got to have confidence or you can't win."

Jones already leads the nation in rushing yards per game and needs only 235 yards in the last two games to break the ACC's single-season rushing record.

Tomorrow's game is also Senior Day and is the last time the fourth and fifth years will play on their home turf.

"This is the last time we get to play in front of a home crowd in Charlottesville, and you want to go out and make the fans want to stay all four quarters," LaMontagne said.