City, University address issues

University, Charlottesville and Albemarle County officials assembled yesterday at the Planning and Coordination Council meeting to continue a dialogue on issues facing the Charlottesville area.

Leonard W. Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, said the University plans to improve shuttle bus service to aid employees working on Grounds as well as football fans attending games.

The University wants to "consider ways to make the pedestrian experience better," Sandridge said.

He said he would like to see more people walk from University Hall to the football games to reduce the traffic congestion near the stadium.

The PACC members also discussed other ways the city and county could ease game-day problems.

Sandridge said the city has been very helpful, providing a downtown shuttle service that is used by about 450 people per game.

City Manager Gary O'Connell said he is concerned about out-of-town visitors who do not know about the parking opportunities available and "invade the neighborhoods."

Sandridge said the Scott Stadium expansion will make the game-day problems difficult in the beginning of next season.

"I hope everyone will bear with us," he said. "We're putting a priority on this."

Charlottesville Mayor Virginia Daugherty brought up the issue of prohibiting the use of cars by first-year students for both semesters.

Now the University policy prohibits first years from operating or maintaining cars for only the first semester.

Daugherty mentioned that some universities do not allow their students to bring cars until their third year.

At the meeting, University Architect Samuel A. "Pete" Anderson II also reviewed the University's Long Range Master Plan for construction and development and highlighted some of the current building initiatives.

Anderson said construction soon would begin on the first phase of the Groundswalk, a pedestrian path that will link all of the University Grounds. Plans include a footbridge over Emmet Street to connect North Grounds and University Hall to the Lambeth Field Apartments area.

Anderson said the funding is in place and construction should begin by the end of next year.

"The Board of Visitors will have my hide if we don't get started pretty soon," he said.