Women's team shocks No. 6 N.C. State

The Virginia women's basketball team won its ninth straight game Monday evening, upsetting sixth-ranked N.C. State, 80-73, in Raleigh.

Telisha Quarles led the Cavs with 21 points, a new career high. The Cavaliers have not lost a game since Dec. 10, when Old Dominion defeated the Cavs, 86-65. The current run included another upset of then-No. 9 North Carolina Jan. 6.

Following that win, Cav Coach Debbie Ryan announced that Erin Stovall will not return to the team this season. Stovall left the team in December for personal reasons.

"Right now, it's in the team's best interest," Ryan said in an official press release. "I had to make a tough decision. I did not close the door completely, we will revisit this in the spring if she wants to."

Wrestlers maul Monarchs

The Cavalier wrestling squad hammered Old Dominion, 32-7, Saturday night to snap a four-match losing streak in dual competition. Steve Garland and John Pozniak recorded pins for the Cavs to help fuel Virginia's effort. In all, Virginia won eight of the 10 matches with ODU.

Swimmers douse Wolfpack

The Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving squads started the new year on a strong note Saturday, as both notched big wins over ACC rival N.C. State.

The No. 10 Cavalier men (3-1, 1-1 ACC) defeated the 'Pack, 140.5-98.5. The eighth-ranked Cav women (4-0, 2-0) rolled over the Wolfpack women, 134-101 to remain unbeaten.

Chezley Watson leaves team

Third-year guard Chezley Watson left the basketball team before the Cavs' Jan. 8 meeting with Georgia Tech.

After starting 26 games last season, Watson only played in nine games this year.

Following his team's 83-65 win over the Jackets, Cav Coach Pete Gillen said Watson plans to try out for the football team.