Virginia Tech student dies following beating

Virginia Tech business student Thomas L. Hyman Jr., 29, died Monday in Roanoke Memorial Hospital after being beaten in a Blacksburg residence early Sunday morning, according to Blacksburg Police.

Hyman, a resident advisor in Lee Residence Hall, sustained injuries to his face, head and neck during a dispute at a Blacksburg house, police said. Police responded to a call around 2:20 a.m. Sunday and found Hyman lying inside the door. Emergency personnel treated Hyman at the residence, took him to Montgomery Regional Hospital and put him on life support. While in critical condition he was transferred to Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he died.

Tech officials and police said they are not yet sure if there was a motive for the apparent beating. Police said an autopsy was scheduled for Monday. Tech spokesman Dave Nutter said it could take several days for the autopsy results. Police have not released details about the incident yet.

"People spoke of [Hyman] as a fine young man," Nutter said.

Tech freshman Stephen Roe was one of Hyman's residents.

"We didn't get to know him really well, but I talked to him a few times and he was a really friendly guy," Roe said. "He was a cool kid but very quiet."

Hyman was from Saltville, Va.