Rainey brings legal knowledge to BOV

(This is the second article in a three-part weekly series about the new Board of Visitors members.)

Recently appointed Board of Visitors member Gordon F. Rainey Jr. is no stranger to the University community.

In addition to receiving his B.A. degree from the University in 1962, Rainey earned a degree from the Law School in 1967.

After graduating, he remained involved in University life by becoming an active member of the Alumni Association. He worked on the Association's board for five years, serving as its president last year.

Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) appointed Rainey to the Board a week ago. He also appointed Connecticut investment banker Charles L. Glazer and Congressman Thomas J. Bliley Jr. (R-7th).

Rainey's "familiarity with the alumni body and firsthand experience at the Alumni Association over the last five years gives him insight as to what the mindset at the University is today," Alumni Association President Jack Syer said.

Through his work at the Association, he has worked with Student Council and become familiar with the Honor Committee, University Rector John P. Ackerly III said.

Rainey "will come on the Board well-apprised of current University business," Ackerly said.

Rainey is the Chairman of Richmond-based Hunton & Williams, one of the nation's largest law firms. Rainey said his law experience provides him with strong problem-solving skills and an "analytical frame of mind."

Ackerly said Rainey's legal experience also will help with the Board's assessment of pending litigation facing the Honor Committee.

Rainey served as one of 39 members on Gilmore's Blue Ribbon Commission on Higher Education.

The Commission, which was formed in June 1998, produced a report designed to improve the state higher educational system, suggesting a performance-based funding model.

Ackerly said Rainey was "instrumental in getting the [members] to agree so they could finish their report."

Rainey is "by nature a conciliator," as demonstrated by his work on the Commission, said Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor and Commission member.

Rainey's experience with higher education on the state level makes him a "very prominent individual both in Virginia and nationally," Sabato said.

Rainey also has "contacts galore" that will benefit the Board, he said.

Rainey agreed that his strength is in helping people work together to reach a constructive consensus.

He also said his work on the Commission has helped him become familiar with current higher education policies.

Ackerly said Rainey probably will serve on the Board's Student Affairs and Athletics Committee because of his diverse knowledge of the University.

Syer said Rainey's skills are similar to those of former Board member Henry L. Valentine II, who was not reappointed by Gilmore a week ago.

He said both men are "common sense kind of guys" who are "interested in getting to the solution."

He added that both Valentine and Rainey are "very sensitive to other people's opinions on things"