Torino fuses rap with R&B flavor

Just like the classic Ford model that inspired their name, Gran Torino is revving up for an appearance tomorrow night at Trax.

"We're looking forward to playing Trax again," Scott Pederson said. Pederson plays trumpet, trombome, saxophone and keyboard for Torino, a band whose sound he describes as a mix between rap and R&B. "It's been a while since we've played there, and it's a great room."

Torino will be in town to promote its second album, appropriately entitled "two." "Two" has sold over 5,000 albums since its Jan. 18 release.

That's good news for the band, which now features eight other members besides Pederson: Pee Jay Alexander, Stephen Decker, Chris Ford, Dave Heyer, Dexter Murphy, Todd Overstreet, Whit Pfohl and Jason Thompson.

Gran Torino
Playing at Trax
Wednesday, April 12 at 9 pm
Promoting "Two," featuring the
new single "Moments with You"

Save Heyer, all other members of Torino started out together at the University of Tennesse four years ago. Even early on in their career, they were fortunate enough to open for such popular bands as Everything.

Since then, they have played Trax with local favorites Fighting Gravity and Pat McGee Band. Pederson named Trax as a nationally renowned concert venue.

"People in Colorado view it as a landmark on the East Coast," he said.

• Official Website for Gran Torino
  •  

One song sure to be performed at Trax is "Moments With You," the first single to emerge from "two." It is enjoying full rotation on nearly 25 radio stations.

How does the album itself differ from its predecessor?

"It's a more full band album," Smith explained. "It has more section work, with less space for solos."

Additionally, Pederson said that Torino used horns to provide more texture, rather than relying on strings like many other bands.

"Our live show hasn't really changed [except for] natural evolution," Pederson said.

Music fans can see for themselves tomorrow night.