Bynum, a 'double hoo,' takes over after serving as interim director

Cornelius L. Bynum was selected on June 2 as director of the Luther P. Jackson Cultural Center. Office of African-American Affairs Dean M. Rick Turner chose Bynum, who has served as the Jackson Center's interim director for the past year, after a search committee narrowed the initial pool of 41 applicants to three finalists.

Bynum received his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in American history from the University, and is currently working on his doctoral dissertation. He also was a graduate teaching assistant in the University History Department from 1997 to 1998 and gave lectures in history classes.

The search committee felt he was a top candidate because of his familiarity with the University as a "double-hoo" and his overall competency and knowledge of the position, Turner said.

Bynum said he was very conscious of Dean Turner's expectations for the cultural center, and held those as his guiding mission.

"We are interested in making cultural resources more available to students," Bynum said. "Now I have the authority to make a more explicit commitment to these programs."

In his application letter to Eddie Daniels, search committee chair and Newcomb Hall director, Bynum said that as Interim Director of the Center he helped organize its fundraising efforts, worked with students to organize "social and academic events" and helped counsel students.

"His knowledge, experience and education in African-American history" will add to his aptitude as the director, Daniels said.

Bynum currently is working on setting up a cultural computer lab "specifically related to African and African-American culture, history and literature," as well as establishing an African-American art gallery near the Dawson's Row area and several other plans to give students a "more culturally enriching environment."

"I have the charge of giving the Center a bit more vibrancy and revitalize it so students can use the facilities from their dorm rooms or their normal routine," Bynum said.