Pepsi pops into dining halls

Always Coca-Cola - but not for University students.

After 10 years of offering cups, cans and bottles of Coca-Cola, Inc. products, the University signed a contract Aug. 16 with Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Central Virginia, Inc., giving the soft drink company exclusive selling rights at University dining halls and athletic events.

Pepsi products such as 7-Up, Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew will be offered at 70 percent of convenience stores, retail locations and vending machines on University property. The remaining 30 percent may include Coke products or products from other beverage companies.

The University and Pepsi already signed the contract, but University Dining Services Director Ed Gutauskas said the changeover is going to take a while because Pepsi needs to set up new equipment.

Coke's five-year contract ended June 30. Knowing the contract was running out, the Athletic Department, Business Operations and Dining Services formed a committee early last semester to decide on a beverage company.

John McHugh, University purchasing manager for Procurement Services, said the committee examined about seven proposals, including one from Coca-Cola.

"We decided that the best overall proposal was from Pepsi," McHugh said. The University will earn a $3.5 million revenue "for pouring [Pepsi's] product," he said.

The money will fund dining services and support athletics, including scholarships and advising for athletes.

In part, the committee chose Pepsi because of contributions to athletic programs, Gutauskas said.

Everette Anderson, Pepsi vice president for sales and marketing, said Pepsi made athletic donations in the past - despite the University's contract with Coca-Cola - because the University sold Pepsi's Aquafina bottled water at games.

Students reacted to the beverage change with a mixture of apathy and concern.

"It bothers me that we're not going to have Sprite," second-year College student Abena Apau said. "Who drinks Mountain Dew, anyway?"

But second-year College student Jeremy McLean said the issue is not pressing to the University.