Cavs head to Tallahassee to face defending champs

The Virginia football team will attempt to win tomorrow in the state of Florida for the first time in program history as it heads to Tallahassee to take on No. 6 Florida State at 3:30 p.m.

The defending champion Seminoles (6-1, 4-0 ACC) were dethroned from the No. 1 ranking by Miami two weeks ago but crushed Duke 63-14 last weekend and now look to return to national title contention.

The Cavaliers (4-2, 3-1) likely will have to take on the fearsome 'Noles without the services of senior quarterback Dan Ellis, who strained his hamstring two weeks ago against Maryland.

Ellis has done all he can to make it back in time for tomorrow's game, but the injury was still troublesome enough Wednesday that the Cav coaching staff was forced pull Ellis from practice. Virginia coach George Welsh said earlier in the week that Ellis probably would need to practice Wednesday and Thursday to be effective after almost two weeks off.

"He gives us our best chance to score, so if he can go I am going to use him," Welsh said Monday. "I'm not going to use him if he is at, say, 80 percent. I think that would be a mistake because with hamstrings, if you injure them again that could be a long time."

As of Wednesday, Welsh said he had not decided which of his redshirt freshmen would start in the event of Ellis' absence. Bryson Spinner (0-for-3, one interception) and Matt Schaub (2-for-2, 14 yards) each played one quarter against Maryland.

The Virginia offense has its work cut out for it against an FSU defense that ranks sixth nationally in rush defense and scoring defense. Defensive end Jamal Reynolds leads the ACC in sacks, has two safeties and has forced four fumbles.

No matter who the quarterback is - Schaub, Spinner or a hobbled Ellis - the Cavaliers will need tailbacks Antwoine Womack, Tyree Foreman and Arlen Harris. Womack needs just five yards to break into the top 20 on Virginia's career rushing list, while Harris should see his first extensive playing time since suffering a knee injury in the season opener against Brigham Young. Welsh said Harris also will inherit his old job as starting punt returner.

The Florida State attack leads the nation in total offense and passing offense. Last week against Duke, senior quarterback Chris Weinke completed 37 of 47 passes for 536 yards and five touchdowns to become the ACC's all-time leader in touchdown passes. Welsh agreed the Cavs will need to improve their heretofore mediocre pass rush to have a chance at slowing FSU.

The pass rush "is essential," Welsh said. "If he's got extra time, then they'll get somebody open in the zone. You've got to mix it up, change it up."

Senior cornerback Ahmad Hawkins said the Virginia defense refuses to be frightened by the Seminole offense.

"That school gets a whole lot of publicity," Hawkins said. "You can't go in there intimidated."

Overall, this weekend will be a tough test for the Cavaliers, as Florida State has not lost at home since 1991, when Miami beat them "Wide Right I." Welsh said Virginia has a chance.

"If we stay healthy and practice well, I think we'll have a shot," Welsh said. "You've got to go out and play the game. Strange things can happen"