Davis leads volleyball to conference road split

The Virginia women's volleyball team continued its rollercoaster season this weekend, splitting a pair of ACC road matches. The Cavaliers fell at Georgia Tech, 3-1, before heading to Clemson and winning by the same score.

Freshman outside hitter Paige Davis led the Cavs (7-8, 3-2 ACC) with a total of 42 kills in the two matches. She tied her career high with 22 kills and chipped in 10 digs against a powerful Yellow Jacket squad Friday night.

Weekend Games
Georgia Tech 3 - Virginia 1
Box Score

Virginia 3 - Clemson 1
Box Score

Saturday at Clemson, Davis slammed 20 kills to headline a quintet of Cavaliers with double-digit kills. Virginia dropped the first game, 15-4, but rebounded to take the next three games and the match victory.

Road runners

The Cavalier cross country teams made the most of their trip to the George Washington University Invitational this weekend, easily winning the women's trophy and finishing a close second on the men's side.

• Cavalier Daily's coverage of Virginia volleyball
  • Cavalier Daily's coverage of Virginia cross country
  •  

Virginia swept the top five places - and six of the top seven - in the women's 5K. Sarah Folse, Dana Coons, Jessica Thomas, Ellen Dwyer and Dawn Cleary helped the Cavs demolish the rest of the field, winning by 61 points over second-place James Madison.

Cavalier senior star Bobby Thiele took the men's 8K by a 14-second margin over Miami's Brian Godsey, but the Hurricanes won the team competition by 10 points. Virginia's Matt Ruhl finished third.

Golden Dawn

Former Cavalier Dawn Staley and the U.S. women's basketball team did not have an easy go of it during the Sydney Olympics, but they completed their quest for the gold medal Saturday with a 76-54 win over Australia.

The American post players, led by Lisa Leslie, Natalie Williams and Yolanda Griffith, dominated the hometown Aussies, who were backed by an energetic crowd.

The Americans took a victory lap around the floor after the win, as several players waved flags and Staley turned cartwheels, much to the delight of a small contingent of U.S. fans, including several players from the gold medal-winning men's team.

Booted

Star striker Ivan Zamorano scored twice as Chile beat the U.S. men's soccer team 2-0 Friday night and denied former Cavs Jeff Agoos, Ben Olsen and Chris Albright an Olympic bronze medal.

Zamorano, who notched a tournament-leading six goals, put away a penalty kick in the 70th minute and scored again in the 84th to seal the win.

The Americans had to settle for fourth, their best showing in an international tournament.

Cameroon beat Spain on penalty kicks to win the gold medal.

On the women's side, former Virginia coach April Heinrichs and the Americans lost the gold medal to Norway in overtime, 3-2.