Student wounded in skirmish outside local bar

A fourth-year University student was stabbed in the face with a broken beer bottle outside the Buddhist Biker Bar and Grill early Thursday morning, police said.

Six individuals were involved in a fight around 1:55 a.m. outside the Elliewood Avenue bar's white fences. The student also was involved in an earlier scuffle inside the bar, police said.

The student "was in the bar and a disagreement developed between him and another individual in the bar," Charlottesville Police Sgt. Ron Willis said.

The student, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he approached the bar to buy a drink and another individual accused him of stepping on his feet. After a verbal disagreement, the other man punched the student, the student said.

Bar employees asked both men to leave the premises, he said. When the student went outside with several friends, the man who punched him was waiting nearby with several others, he said.

Related Links
  • Charlottesville Police Department

•  

"Friends of the other guy were grouped, kind of waiting for us," the student said.

Outside, the student was stabbed in the face with a broken beer bottle, Sgt. Willis said.

The victim was taken to University Hospital after suffering deep wounds to his face, police said. The victim said he required stitches under both eyes and that a bone in his face also was broken but is expected to heal without treatment.

He also said several of his friends were hit and kicked.

"One of the guys ran behind us and hit my friend in the back of his head," he said.

Three people were arrested in connection with the incident and charged with malicious wounding, a felony.

Police arrested Malcolm Eugene Chapman, 35, of Charlottesville, Marco Allen Chapman, 29, of Miami, W.Va., and David Michael Hough, 25, also of Charlottesville.

Police arrested both Chapmans at the scene, but Hough escaped, Willis said.

Hough was arrested later Thursday, Charlottesville Police Sgt. C.R. Smith said.

Willis said he did not know if the two Chapmans are related.

Smith said malicious wounding can carry a range of penalties depending on the class of the charges, but that she did not know the classes of the charges Chapman, Chapman and Hough face.

An official from the Charlottesville Magistrate's Office said she did not have access to that information because the incident occurred last week.

Chapman, Chapman and Hough could not be reached for comment.

Employees from the Buddhist Biker Bar and Grill also could not be reached for comment.