Top Terp Fights Hype

Make no doubt about it. LaMont Jordan is the staple of the Maryland offense. He is the Terrapins' all-time rusher and all-purpose yardage leader. He is the second-leading active rusher in the NCAA and a unanimous preseason first-team All-American selection. But Jordan has run into a brick wall as of late.

At the beginning of the 2000 campaign, expectations were high for the senior tailback, who finished the 1999 season with an NCAA-best 1,101 yards in his last six games. But Jordan hasn't lived up to the preseason hype, which hailed him as the ACC's top rusher.

Now Jordan is fifth in the conference in rushing and his slow start has silenced many of his supporters -- the very same supporters who initially tagged Jordan a Heisman hopeful.

Jordan's Maryland offense was blasted last week in a 59-7 loss to defending national champion Florida State. But in what might have been his breakout performance of this young season, Jordan rushed for 114 yards on 17 carries, including a 74-yard touchdown. He said the FSU game was a turning point for both his season and for the Terps (2-2, 0-1 ACC).

"As a team we were rusty [early on], and we weren't clicking on all cylinders," Jordan said. "Our whole offense - me, the line, the receivers - really didn't play well. But the way I ran against Florida State, it felt good. It set a tone for this week [against Virginia] and for the rest of the season."

Much of the weight of the offense rests squarely on Jordan's shoulders, a fact opposing teams seem to know. Last year Jordan was the ACC's second-leading rusher with 1,632 yards, but now he is averaging just 75.5 yards per game. Thanks to defenses that have keyed in on stopping him, Jordan can see his Heisman chances slipping away.

"Teams put eight or nine guys on the line last year trying to stop the run, but I still managed to get my yards," he said. "I think teams do target me a little more this season, but my rushing yards will go up [once we establish a better passing attack].

"Right now I really don't think there's any more hype about me for the Heisman," he continued. "I didn't get off to a 'Heisman-like' season. But my goals haven't changed, even with all the Heisman talk since the preseason. My main objective is to go out there and put my team in the best position to win a football game."

• Interview with LaMont Jordan
  • Maryland Football
  • LaMont Jordan
  • But don't be fooled. Jordan, noting that "anything can happen," isn't ruling out the possibility of being in Heisman contention at year's end. Jordan also said he thinks the career ACC rushing record is within reach and adds that he "came into the season with the goal of breaking as many rushing records" as he could.

Jordan takes a step closer to this lofty goal as he and the Terrapins march into Charlottesville to battle Virginia this Saturday. Maryland looks to avenge last year's 34-30 loss to the Cavaliers. In that game, Jordan broke free for a school-record 306 rushing yards, the third-highest single-game total in ACC history. Jordan said he hopes for a repeat performance Saturday and recognizes the importance of this game.

"This is a huge game and we're very focused," Jordan said. A win over Virginia "would mean a lot because it's a real rivalry. I think a win will send a message to the rest of the ACC that we can bounce back after getting crushed by FSU."

A game-winning drive in the last minute of Virginia's victory kept the Terps out of a bowl game last season, a fact Jordan said would "be on everyone's minds."

Jordan said his long run against Florida State last week was "a feeling of relief" and added "it felt like the animal had been let out of the cage." Virginia hopes to tame that wild animal in an important midseason ACC match-up Saturday.