Warwick's Brown commits to men's basketball

The Virginia men's basketball team picked up its fourth verbal commitment for the 2001 season Tuesday when power forward Elton Brown of Warwick High in Newport News announced his intention to join the Cavaliers.

Brown, who is 6-foot-9 and 240 pounds, picked the Cavs over Florida State and Temple. He averaged 24.8 points and 14.5 rebounds per game last season to lead the Peninsula District.

Brown is the fourth player to commit to the Cavaliers, joining guards Keith Jenifer and Jermaine Harper and forward Jason Clark.

O Captain! My Captain!

The men's basketball team elected guards Donald Hand and Keith Friel and forward Chris Williams as team captains for the 2000-01 season.

Hand, a senior from Paterson, N.J., will be a captain for the third consecutive season. He is the first Cavalier ever to receive the honor three years in a row.

• CD Online coverage of Virginia men's basketball
  • CD Online coverage of Virginia women's soccer
  • CD Online coverage of Virginia women's basketball
  • CD Online coverage of Virginia women's volleyball
  • CD Online coverage of Virginia women's rowing
  • CD Online coverage of Virginia men's golf
  •  

Friel, a senior from Durham, N.H., will become captain after only one season in the orange and blue. He transferred to Virginia from Notre Dame in 1998 and sat out the 1998-99 season. Friel will compete this season as a graduate student.

Williams, a junior from Birmingham, Ala., received second-team All-ACC honors last season after leading the Cavs in scoring with 15.5 points per game.

Leaving the Devils blue

The Virginia women's soccer team (9-7, 3-3 ACC) grabbed an important 4-3 conference win Saturday night against Duke at Kl