Women's soccer looks to strike back

Today a frustrated and hungry Virginia women's soccer team will face a George Washington team that has won its past two games in a row.

The Colonials defeated St. Joseph's Sunday afternoon, 4-3, with an overtime goal scored by junior Erin Coppedge. With that victory, George Washington improved its overall record to 3-7. Their Atlantic 10 conference record remains unblemished at 2-0.

The 18th-ranked Cavs (5-5, 1-2 ACC), on the other hand, dropped their last game to No. 2 Clemson. The winning goal came off the foot of Lady Tiger Cindy Mullinix two minutes into the overtime period. The Cavaliers had many chances in the second half, including a near score from midfielder Lori Lindsey.

The Cavs know that George Washington has struggled on the road this season and has won only one of seven away matches, which could make for an easy game. But to Virginia's disadvantage, the Cavs have been inconsistent. They have grabbed crucial wins, but not without racking up some losses along the way. Their roller coaster of a season include an upset loss to Florida Sept. 24 and a 3-0 shutout victory over N.C. State Sept. 12.

Despite the Cavs' loss Friday, Virginia coach Steve Swanson said he has confidence that they will do well.

• CD Online Women's Soccer Coverage
  • George Washington women
  • Comments