Faculty offers mixed review of 2020 reports

Several months after their unveiling, the Virginia 2020 commission reports continue to draw both praise and criticism from the University community, with some groups concerned that aiding the University's weaker programs will be to the detriment of its stronger areas.

Established by University President John T. Casteen III in 1998, the Virginia 2020 planning commission aimed to determine what direction the University should take in the next 20 years. Four planning commissions - fine and performing arts, international activities, public service and outreach and science and technology - strive to take the University to a higher level, with the goal set on a top-10 overall ranking for the University within the next 20 years.

After the University made the commission documents public last fall, individuals and organizations submitted formal recommendations for changes and improvements to the reports. In addition to these formal recommendations, numerous forums were held to allow faculty and staff members to voice their concerns about the contents of the commission reports.

"Our main criticism was that we wanted to make sure the centers for excellence that are already in place are continued and enhanced," said Faculty Senate Chairwoman Patricia H. Werhane, who added she was impressed with the reports overall.

In its recommendation, the Faculty Senate warns of the danger in focusing all planning and fundraising efforts on weaker areas.

Faculty Senate members claim the University should "continue to strengthen areas of distinction as well as to attend to areas that have historically received less attention."

Faculty members voiced similar concerns at a recent College faculty meeting, where members of traditionally strong departments such as history and English feared their programs could suffer in the process of improving weak areas.

Many individuals "expressed concern or alerted us to the danger of using these reports as the only planning and fundraising tools," former Faculty Senate Chairman David T. Gies said.

Anita Jones, Science and Technology Commission chairwoman, said the commission received a range of feedback.

"One reaction is that at this day and age, technology plays a crucial role in everyone's lives, and a strong science and engineering program at the University makes sense," Jones said.

The science and technology reports call for the University to target three areas for the most strategic planning and fundraising efforts, a move which Jones said has drawn varied criticism - particularly from those who feel the reports put undue emphasis on the sciences rather than the humanities.

"Some would say we shouldn't pick certain areas," she said. "But then there is also strong support for the areas picked."

The Women's Leadership Council also offered its comments related to all four commissions.

Council Chairwoman Carolyn Callahan said the organization's recommendations emphasized diversity, particularly women's issues.

The Council thought the curriculum in international programs could "attend to women's issues and spouses of international students adjusting to the area," Callahan said.

Callahan added that the expanded arts program would serve the interests and needs of both women and minorities well.