Sneaky presidential pranks greet Bush administration

The Clinton administration must have forgotten the old adage "Don't mess with Texas" as they moved out of White House offices in preparation for the incoming Bush presidency.

Upon entering the offices last week, Bush officials discovered several oddities about their new surroundings.

At a press briefing held Thursday, White House press secretary Ari Fleischer chose not to comment on the exact nature of the incidents.

"I chose not to describe what acts were done that we found upon arrival because I think that's part of the changing tone in Washington," Fleischer said.

But several high ranking Republican officials leaked a summary of the pranks to the press, proving that the Clinton staffers were determined to go out with a bang.

The Bush administration found several gag signs outside of offices such as "Office of Subliminable Messages" and "Office of Strategery" - a reference to a "Saturday Night Live" spoof.

The 'W' keys also were removed from many office computers seemingly in retribution for Bush's several campaign slogans which centered around his use of 'Dubya.'

The informers also told the press that many official seals and White House paintings were taken from walls. The perpetrators reportedly attempted to mail the items to themselves.

Bush officials also found sliced phone and computer lines as well as obscene messages left in copy machines.

Several fake Time magazine covers featuring a spoof of Bush during the recounts in Florida also were left interspersed within the photocopy machines.

"Some of the pranks sound like they may have happened" in previous administrations, said Robert Holsworth, director and chair of the department of international and public affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University. "But others [pranks] went beyond what was normal."

While some media agencies have speculated that Clinton staffers conducted the pranks, it has not officially been confirmed if they are the perpetrators.

"There is some question about whether these were isolated incidents or more widespread," Government and Foreign Affairs Prof. Larry J. Sabato said. "But it's always best not to jump to conclusions."

Holsworth said he feels that the office debacle, along with incidents such as Clinton's pardon, have hurt the Clinton administration as it attempts to leave the presidency on a high note.

All of the incidents "just complicated the exit strategy," Holsworth said. "But in the long term, I don't think that it is any big deal."

"It was an effort to be funny and cute, but probably became more aggravating," he said.

As the Bush administration cleans up and assesses the damage done, one can almost hear the taunts aimed at the Clinton administration.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but pranks will never hurt me.